Mike and I have a mission – to devise the perfect Christmas playlist for our travels north in a few short weeks. We’ve decided that we cannot depend on the radio for this perfection. We share some very strong feelings about a few select songs (which I won’t name because we respect that others must like them as the radio station keeps playing them!).
A countdown of holiday favorites by a local station prompted me to ask (and guess) Mike what his favorite song is. Apparently the boy is unwilling to name just one and has categories: general, church, Santa, … Elvis (for the record, my guess was Elvis’ Blue Christmas). My favorite, hands down, is Bing Crosby’s White Christmas. No other version of that song will do. My family has watched the movie White Christmas every year at Christmas for as long as I can remember – and I can’t imagine the holidays with it … or without snow in general. [Side note … Dear Mother Nature: I’m going to need more of the white stuff before December 24. Thanks so much. xoxo Sara]
Which brings us back to the playlist! We’ve discovered we mostly like old school classic Christmas songs – lots of Gene Autry, Frank Sinatra, Bing, Elvis, Perry Como, Nat King Cole, Mariah Carey, the Muppets & the Chipmunks … (hey! I said “mostly”)
Fiona is a good test point for our song choices. She gets her baby boogie on for Christmas tunes! Jingle Bells remains a favorite and I swear I heard her trying to whisper “jingle bells” last night when it was on.
We have a 3 ½ hour car ride north for the holidays – the only day of the year where Mike agrees to listen to Christmas music with minimal complaining. We’re looking for suggestions. What’s your favorite Christmas tune?
6 comments:
LOVE! the songs that most remind me of you guys are jingle bell rock and mariah...you know why ;)
My faves? Nat singing O Holy Night, Bing singing O Come All Ye Faithful, and Baby It's Cold Outside (elf edition)
Love, Emmy
I have 3; Elvis/Blue Christmas, Santa Baby/Ertha Kitt and Little Christmas Tree Waltz on the Little Drummer Boy Christmas Album.
Have a safe and wonderful trip to the crisp and cold North. Although, it was 28 degrees this morning in Tucson when I got up.
Happy Holidays! Aunt M
Anything by Bing Crosby. Also love Amy Grant, Josh Groban, and classical music. It might be impossible to pick just one favorite, but I've always loved Sleigh Ride ... and like Emmy said, the elf edition of Baby It's Cold Outside :)
I agree with the classics. Perry Como, Nat King Cole, Sinatra, Bing Crosby, The Andrews Sisters, and Jim Reeeves.
However, there are some modern (well, more modern singers anyway) favorites as well such as Alan Jackson's "Let it be Christmas", Jewel's "Hark The Herold Angels Sing", and Josh Groban's "Oh Holy Night". Sorry Em, but love his entire Christmas album, his voice was made for those types of songs. Kyle's mom got me Michael Buble's new Christmas album and I have been enjoying that as well.
All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey. Best one, hands down! CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU GUYS!!! love you!
My hands down favorite is Mary, Did You Know" Preferably sung by Kathy Mathea. Shawn loves O, Holy Night. We are more into traditional sungs, artist doesn't matter as much as long as they don't make a rap or pop song out of it. HATE that!!! LOVE "White Christmas" my Mr. Bing. NOBODY comes close!!!! White Christmas is a holiday must in my house too!!
Tawnda
Post a Comment