Thursday, September 26, 2013

Kickin' It

I've played on a kickball team with some friends from college for ten a couple years! It's a kids game and our team is there [mostly] to have fun. Don't get me wrong - we're pretty good and have won our share of championships. But we know that it is kickball - not competitive fast pitch. Anyway ... I digress.

When Mike moved down here, he joined the team too. Since we had kids, we share a roster spot as it's a 20 minute drive from here to the game. And late games just do not work with the girls. Lucky us, this season, there are a lot of early games. Last week AND this week, we had 6:15 games. Those present their own set of problems as that is dinner time, rush hour, and squeezed right at the end of the work day.

We feel so lucky to play on a team with friends who not only are truly excited when the girls show up, but actually encourage both Mike and I to play in the field at the same time and willingly watch the girls. There is a reason why our roster hasn't changed much over the years!

Last week, Uncle Dan and Uncle Z sent Mike out to the field. I played catcher to keep an eye on the goings on in the dugout. Mike left Q and she did not appreciate the desertion. I had to laugh at the looks of sheer panic from the honorary dugout uncles. I directed them to our bag and told them to pull out a yogurt pouch for Q (I heard, "Yes - we can buy happiness!"). Uncle Z handed it to her gingerly (like one would with a rabid dog) and she bellowed back at him. I laughed and reminded him that he did need to open it! Once opened, they were bestest friends.

I did also have to remind Uncle Dan a few times (jokingly - he would never) that the gummy bears on the bench were not for the girls. You know, because they were soaked in vodka. I love our team! No shortage in creativity on how we can make kickball an "adult" game. For the record, I thought the gummies were delicious!

This week, the girls were more comfortable and therefore a bit more wild. They were still really good, but Q's goal in life was to get on the field of play. Buggy was running around, tripped (with a sandwich in each hand), and smacked her forehead on the concrete. We played out in the field less and tried to keep the fan base under control. They are still great fans and love to cheer on Mom and Dad - and the rest of the team!

No comments: