Thursday, July 30, 2015

Practically Perfect

Several months ago, my dad had a coupon for a local dinner theater's production of Mary Poppins. He was surveying the family to see who would want to go and I mentioned that Mary Poppins would be a play that I would consider bringing Fiona to. That was all grandpa needed! Tickets were purchased for July, including a ticket for the Bug, and the wait began.

Since it was over seven months between ticket purchase and our show, I marked it on the calendar and kind of forgot about it. Except playing the soundtrack for the girls (and D) over and over ... and showing them YouTube video clips of the movie on my phone while I nursed Declan.

All of a sudden July hit and I realized I hadn't let Fiona watch the movie yet. And had promised her that she could see it. So one weekend in early July, we watched it. Fiona loved it (not surprising) and Quinn did too (more surprising as she's not really into movies ... I guess she's a live action girl). They watched it again during the drive north for camping. And again on the ride home. We were fully Poppins-ed!

The day of the play arrived and Fiona was so excited. She got all dressed up and we did fancy hair. When we got to the theater, she was so ready. As it was a dinner theater, we had to eat first. She actually ate, which surprised me, while staring at the set the whole time. She was very intrigued by the stage and wanted to know what everything was for. We had great seats, really close to the front, and she had a great view.

It was pure magic to watch her watch the play. The stage magic was magic to her. She's so serious when she watches stuff, but every once in a while, I would hear her giggle, see her gasp in amazement, or hear her sing along with one of the songs that she knew. She loved the songs and the dancing. And the chocolate cake that Grandpa ordered for intermission (I convinced her to NOT tell Q about the cake ... we'll let it be a surprise for when Quinn is old enough to go). I was very impressed that she held in there for the whole 3 hours of the play. She was ready to go home when it was done, but she enjoyed every bit of it.

And she's been singing Mary Poppins songs all week. Thanks, Grandpa! Apparently Chim Chim Cheree will never get out of my head!

A side story on Mary Poppins ... an email conversation with my sister.
Me: Spit spot. (I wanted her to do something)
Em: You would be a great Mary Poppins.
Me: I am practically perfect in every way.
Em: Sigh ... That's on me. I set you up for that.

1 comment:

The Bartholomews said...

In the pic of you, F, and Em it looks like F has a giant hoop earing on ;)