| Always walk through life with good friends |
We have a fitness center at work. I'm pretty spotty using it, but I'm trying to get better. This afternoon, I headed down to use the treadmill. Only to discover that I had forgotten to throw socks in my gym bag. Mostly undeterred, I put my bare feet in my tennis shoes (shudder). Hopped on the treadmill. Discovered my iPod battery was dead. Ugh. So I dug out my phone, plugged in my headphones, and power-walked a mile. Which was the best I could do before my feet blistered. I was proud that I still walked - even when the universe gave me plenty of excuses to give up.
I talked to Fiona's school nurse today. She mentioned that Fiona's been really sad the last few days at school. She confirmed what we had begun to suspect since Friday. We are in a spina bifida valley. Tonight at dinner, she burst into tears and told us that she didn't like how she was born. Breaking the strict "stay in your seat during dinner" rule, I pulled her into my lap. We talked about how we think she is perfect just the way she is. Quinn listened so carefully to what Bugs and I were talking about and offered up the most compassionate thoughts to her sister. It won't be our last valley, but our chat hopefully helped. She had some serious belly laughs tonight that we've haven't heard for a few days.
As Fiona and I talked tonight, I told her the truth ... that she didn't get a choice whether she was born with spina bifida or not. And we're sorry that she didn't get that choice. But she does get a choice as to whether she stays sad about it or finds the things that make her happy and focuses on those. She is the only one who can make that choice for herself. She'll take the road most traveled and choose happy. And the rest of us have promised that when her path gets bumpy, we'll be here to help her find her way again.
6 comments:
Hang tough Fi!
Count us in for moral support back up!!!!
Love you always, Marti and Randy
Hugs to our sweet and fiesta Fiona!
oops thats supposed to say fiesty, lol. Although she's full of fiesta too:)
Poor Bugs... I'm so sorry to hear this! I hate seeing (or reading about) sad kiddos. But I'm sure the talk and your lap helped!
Also, good for you and the no-sock run! I've got to go to the gym today before I break my resolution less than two weeks into the new year! :-o
That is heartbreaking to read, remind Fiona of how much we love her and that Otto thinks "Finn" is amazing and perfect in every way. Sending loves and hugs your way.
My friend Chase, who was also born with spina bifida, has always been so helpful for me to talk to, is now in his early 30's and has been in a wheelchair most of his life, but has that same mostly positive attitude about life just like Fiona. He says that when he gets down about his spina bifida the thing that helps the most is talking to friends like me that listen and understand that it's a temporary slump and won't try to "fix" it or dismiss it. You guys do that instinctively for Fiona and she is so lucky to have the parents she does :) Love you all!
Post a Comment