About three weeks ago, I was on a conference call when I got an email from Mike ... asking me if it was okay for him to be in a donkey race at the county fair. Quite honestly, I don't know how you tell someone they can't be in a donkey race (but you do laugh about it with your coworkers) so I agreed. He was concerned because I was heading out of town the next day for work - but I assured him the kids and I would be just fine. Plus the kids got the biggest kick out of the thought of Daddy riding a donkey.
Mike's work (Anchor Bank) actually sponsored the races, so his boss was excited to pull a team together. And you know Mike, he's game for anything! [Team Name: Anchor's Assets] While we were disappointed that we didn't get to go watch him, it was probably for the best. He ended up being there almost all night - as he placed 2nd in his heat and made it to the championship race.
According to Mike, it's not easy to ride a donkey. They aren't big fans and spend much of the time trying (succeeding) to buck you off. Donkeys "buck" by lowering their head and evicting you off their front. You had to be on the donkey when you crossed the finish line, but Mike said he spend a fair amount of time during the race trying to pull his stubborn donkey around the track.
He was rather sore from the whole experience and suspects he may have had a bit of whiplash from one of his tumbles off the donkey. But he also had a good time. And the kids and I laughed and laughed when we saw the pictures.
And because Mike is game for anything, when I asked him just now if he would do it again, he, of course, said yes. Technically he said "probably," but in Mike speak, that's always a "yes."
2 comments:
This was totally worth waiting for :)
Please tell me next time he participates in a donkey race, I would do just about anything to document that!
Post a Comment