My grandma died. She was 101 and almost a half. Strike that,
she was 101 and a half. She was within a week of the half. I’m not an
accountant like my dad. In marketing, that’s simply a rounding error. She gets
the half. It’s weird to say that someone passing at 101 (and a half) is a
surprise. But dang it, it caught all of us by complete surprise!
At her 101st birthday party in May (you know,
where we forgot to sing happy birthday to her), she told us to get everyone
home for number 102. So everyone was coming home for number 102. Because we
believed her. And we weren’t ready. She was the best.
I couldn’t have written her story any better either. She
lived a good, looong life. She was so
loved. She had a great final day. And she went peacefully in her sleep with no
drama and no suffering. But we weren’t ready. Because she was the best.
My mom taught me to cook. And gave me the freedom in her
kitchen to cook like I do – which is much more how my grandma cooked. My mom is
the cleanest cooker (a Q word) that you have ever seen. She can make a four-course
meal and her kitchen is spotless. I can make toast and my kitchen looks like I
made a four-course meal. I’m just a messy cook. I blame Grandma. She taught me
how to use my instincts in the kitchen. I’m notorious for using recipes as
guidelines. I rarely measure. I smell what I’m cooking and stop adding things
when it “smells right.”
Grandma would always tell me that cooking this way had
risks. Sometimes it’s a big ol’ dud. But as you learn and practice, you can
take a good recipe and make it great. I’m not afraid to fail in the kitchen. I
hate it when I do. But I’m not afraid. Quinn cooks like me. She will already
say things like “mama, it doesn’t smell right yet.” My favorite is when my mom
likes something I made and asks me for the recipe. She also usually asks if I
followed it. When my answer is “some of it,” she’ll always say, “you’re as bad
as my mom.”
Right after Mike and I bought the house, I got an itch to plant a peony plant (my mom and grandma had the best peonies when I was growing
up). I didn’t want any old peony and found the one I wanted after way too much
internet research. The catch was that I had to plant the root. So I told
Grandma my plan. In addition to being a great cook, she had a green hand. Not
just a thumb. The whole hand. Knowing that patience was not my strongest
character quality, she advised against that. “Honey, do you know how long that
will take to flower? It will be years before you get a single bud. Can you
really wait that long without giving up?”
| All her grandkids (and a great) sent her off with a toast |
Here’s the thing. Grandma also knew a thing or two about
dealing with stubborn people. So I dug in and told her that “of course I could
wait that long. How dare she doubt me?” And then each spring when that stupid
peony grew but didn’t flower, I resisted the urge to dig it out because I
needed to prove to Grandma that I could last. She knew that. She was wily! This
last spring, there were three
beautiful flowers on my plant. By the time Fiona graduates from high school, we’ll
be rolling in peonies … and those flowers will remind me of her every year.
Which is perfect – because they always bloom right around her birthday.
I could write for days and not do her justice. She left a
hole in our family and we miss her to the depths of our being. But when I look
around my own little house (and not even out to the extended family), I see she’s
not gone. Fiona’s big heart comes from her. I feel her with Quinn and me every
time we destroy the kitchen. And Declan, his joyful spirit and laugh remind
me of her. They can both fill a room with happiness.
101 (and a half). 112. 125. We were never going to be ready.
She really is the best.

5 comments:
Beautiful.
What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful woman. I've always cooked by smell too, I just never knew until this moment that you and your grandma did the same! My mom taught me how to cook that way...way back when she used to love experimenting in the kitchen. So, naturally, that part of your story really got me. Big hugs to you and your entire family, Sara. Thank you for sharing in your elegant style. Love you!
This is perfect. Truly. We were so very lucky to have her in our lives and I completely agree - she was and is the very, very best.
Lovely tribute!
All the tears... all over my face and neck, and now dripped onto my shirt and laptop. This is a beautiful post to what was obviously a beautiful woman. Hugs and cookies and peonies to you, my friend.
Post a Comment