At halfway to four, Dec is an active, lanky BOY. The change in schools in September was absolutely the right move and having a peer group of little boys to play with has been so great for him. He loves the little girls at preschool too - and plays well with him. But the sisters have ensured he can hold his own with girls. He needed a little rough and tumble in his world!
I noticed the difference in his peer interactions last week when he and I went to his little sports camp at the community center. He was completely engaged with all the other little boys in class, visiting, cheering, giggling. It was so fun to see. (And I got a front row view because I got to do sports camp too. He still has some separation anxiety, so I was his passing partner. As long as I was nearby, he was fine to participate. It's a start so we'll take it!)
Declan is all about race cars, superheroes, and sports these days (some thing have remained rather consistent throughout his short years.) We went to Marvel Universe Live on Saturday (more on that in a different post) and since then, I've had to say:
- No, Dec. Don't Hulk Smash your chili bowl.
- No, Dec. Don't Spiderman roundhouse kick the diaper champ.
- Sure, you can do your Spiderman moves. But no kicking the furniture. Or your sisters.
Yesterday, I helped Quinn with some schoolwork and kept Dec busy by throwing a ball down our hall for him to chase. For 15 minutes. Yogs will not fetch (we joke that he is a Golden Finder, because he's clearly not a Retriever), so at least someone will play fetch with me. We also played volleyball. And hockey. And basketball. It was a busy evening!
The baby has turned into a boy who has grown over an inch and a half since his birthday, is super funny, super snuggly, and always wants hugs and kisses from mama. He is a bottomless pit (especially for fruit. or candy) and said tonight that he is dreaming of Kindergarten. This boy is full of mischief and love and is ready to tackle (or Spiderman roundhouse kick) the world.


4 comments:
Happy 3 1/2 Declan! Otto can't wait to learn all your cool Spiderman moves over Christmas!
His scrunchy nose is my favorite thing EVER!
Sara, your Uncle Mike used to make fun of me for sitting on your Grandma's lap calling me the baby. Grandma told him that I could sit on her lap until I was 35 if I wanted to and so I did.....just cuz. So be prepared Sara....babies of the family don't give up laps easily.
Great pic of the crinkled nose. It goes up next the to pic of the blondes dressed as twins in their summer dresses.
Love from Tucson, M
I think the baby is always going to be the "baby". At least at our house!
Post a Comment