Friday, February 23, 2018

Q is 5 1/2

Quinn and I have a routine that happens every night at bedtime - and has for months. As I'm tucking her in, she rattles off a series of questions. Any sirens? [we had some funky late summer/fall weather and the tornado sirens scarred her big time] Any big storms? Is it going to rain? Is it going to snow? [If "yes," I say If we're lucky. And if I say "no," she says We aren't lucky.] Is it going to wind? What kind of story should I make up?

I share this because it is such a true depiction of Quinn. She can handle anything - as long as she has warning and time to process it. She does not like, nor appreciate, surprises. She is thoughtful, methodical, and focused.

Kindergarten has been a game-changer for this new five and a half year old. It has helped her develop a confidence that we haven't seen before. She believes in herself more and is pushing to try harder (or scarier) things. We truly attribute her newfound willingness to learn to ice skate to this confidence. She works so hard in class and is finding so much success. We are all about boosting that confidence with positive outcomes!

Matching jammies
with her baby
Kindergarten also came with some serious attitude. Let's keep the confidence and return the attitude! She has a response (or an excuse) for everything. Our "favorite" right now is when we tell her to do something and she says "I am" when she is clearly doing anything but that. So we are reviewing how saying "I am" while continuing to play with Barbies is not actually the same as going to brush your teeth like you were told.

As driven as Quinn is, she is surprisingly not a perfectionist (that distinction falls to her big sister). She is rarely phased by mistakes and failures. Occasionally they will upset her, but more often, you can see her internalizing what went wrong and how to not repeat that misstep in the future. [Unless it has to do with following directions to get her teeth brushed. No learning will occur and we will have that conversation every.single.day.] She is working really hard on her reading and sight words, finding several books that she can read on her own. [Her incredible memory does not hurt either and there is often a parental debate around if she is reading or has memorized.]

Quinn has the best sense of humor and is so funny. She understands - and is starting to learn how to use - sarcasm. Her mind is incredibly creative and we love to see what she comes up with in her pictures, stories, and games. Her smile with melt you, her wit will slay you, and her sass will raise your blood pressure. We sure love this amazing girl!

She cracks me up!

No comments: