As usual, I brought two pans of cheesy potatoes and typically those suckers are gone. This time, we had more than a pan left. Our picnic site seemed to be in a bit of a wind tunnel and I don't think anyone ate very much lunch. Our kids sat wrapped in blankets - and looked so cozy in their red flannel.
However ... do not let crazy cold imply that it wasn't the best time. This is the same group we do our annual sledding party with and I will maintain until the end of time that these people are the real deal for friends. A little bit of wind and weird June cold fronts are not going to stop us from enjoying them fully. And for the first time ever, I happily [happy is the operative term] volunteered to take the park detail ... because the park was sunken, protected from the wind, and quite pleasant. Or because I'm a good wife and mom. It's definitely one of those.
The park detail parents staked out a spot on top of a hill within the park (it's seriously gigantic and you just camp out near the only entrance/exit [unless your child hops the fence at the back of the park, that is] because there's no way to keep your eye on all of them all the time) and got some good visiting in.Our kids were in the zone and had the best time climbing all the things. Quinn honestly climbed for probably 3 out the 4 hours we were there. We also took part in a pick-up wiffleball game, complete with a goose poop incident at third base - and a kickball game. As the afternoon wore on, the wind died down and if you weren't in the shade, it was quite pleasant. It's also safe to say that the kids are not sad about leftover cheesy potatoes in the fridge.

No comments:
Post a Comment