The birthday weekend started out on Saturday with brunch with two of my college roommates (Nancy and Linda), my sister, and Linda's little newborn, Hugo. I did not hate getting to hold a sweet baby so his mama could eat her food with two hands. He was completely delicious. As was our food. It's over a week later and I'm still thinking about the Eggs Benedict that I split with my sister (so we could also split a goat cheese and veggie omelet. We were all about quality and quantity!).
Later that afternoon, we decided to try out a family bike ride. Declan balked at using the third wheel bike that attaches to Mike's and insisted on riding his own bike. He quickly learned how hard he has to work to make a 12 inch bike go anywhere. I'm pretty sure I coasted most of the way while the dude pedaled as hard as he could. He managed to get a second wind on our way home ... when we all got pulled over by one of S-town's finest. He spotted us all wearing our helmets, waved us over, and gave each of the kids a "ticket" for free ice cream at Dairy Queen. What an awesome way to have bike safety reinforced by someone other than Mike or me!

Birthday proper started off with me tightening my running shoes and heading out for a run. I was feeling really good about myself ... my first mile was about 40 seconds faster than normal, I went farther than usual, and it was just a good run. Then, as I walked around our block to cool down, I stepped weird and tweaked my hip. It was fine again in less than 10 steps. But it was hilarious and humbling.
While my kids are clearly not destined for a life in espionage (and I watch all the spy movies, so I would know), they organized and threw me the sweetest "surprise" party in their bedroom - complete with toys wrapped in their blankets, a tea party, Yahtzee, and a makeovers station. It was just the best!
Once we cleaned up the party, we loaded up for the second day in a row and headed out on our bikes. However, this time, Dec was all over the third wheel option. We biked to the park, to Dairy Queen, and home ... a total of 3 miles. And four out of five Vannestes powered their own bikes. It was so much fun!
The kids decided a couple weeks ago that they wanted to take me out for a banana split for my birthday. I'm pretty sure it was because they've never had one and it sounded intriguing. So we got one banana split and five spoons - and a smoothie as well. They liked the split, but decided it was like a big sundae with bananas in it. We told them that was pretty much what it was! But the best part was when the kids dared Mike to finish the smoothie - and although he is prone to brain freeze, he took the challenge. When he then (not unexpectedly) got an ice cream headache, we all laughed and laughed.
All things told, it was a pretty good way to start another spin around the sun


1 comment:
Happy Birthday to the woman who juggles so very many things! And by the way....I love the name Hugo, so cute!
Post a Comment