I got us tickets to the Saturday matinee. When she wasn't feeling well Friday night, we were a little worried about making it. But by Saturday morning, she was back to her usual self and ready to go to her first ballet. We got out the hot rollers to curl her hair [while not interested in the ballet, Q was all over hot rolling her hair as well], she dressed up fancy (including tights - she told me she knew why they called them tights!), and I may have put just a smidge of make-up on her. She felt (and looked) so big!
The ballet was in the high school auditorium in a town about 12 miles south, so we listened to Christmas carols on the drive and talked about our favorite ones (we both love O Holy Night). Her class at school is doing a performance of Nutcracker songs next week for their music class program, so she was super pumped to hear familiar songs. I helped her follow the program and she seemed to really enjoy the performance. The costumes were so cute and we both loved the Candy Canes (who danced to the Russian dance song) and the Sugar Plum Fairy.
When it was over, she did look at me in shock and said, "Mom! There were no words. At all. It was just music and dancing." She seemed a bit surprised when I told her that is what a ballet is! For the record, she told me that her program has music, dancing, and words.
Quinn sneaks in her one-on-one time by always being game to go on errands and Dec manages it by being the youngest ... so it was really special to get some one-on-one time with Fiona doing something that we both really loved. I even earned some Cool Mom points by reminding her that I used to dance ballet - and was once the Sugar Plum Fairy.


No comments:
Post a Comment