Thursday, January 31, 2019

Polar Vortex Survival

We are OVER it
You guys. Send help. We are day four of Polar Vortex 2019 and we are OVER IT! Survival on day three was going pretty well. The girls were troopers, the evening (thanks to a hit of sugar from a lemon pie we made) was full of running feet and giggles, and the parents weren’t yet in need of alcohol. Three days was clearly our limit.

Monday was a planned No School day (we have oh so many of those!), so the girls were heading to the theater with Mike. This was after the No School day they had last Monday too (thanks Gma and Gpa!). In hindsight, a day at the theater was the smartest parenting move we’ve ever made. It’s probably what got us through three days. Tuesday through Thursday have been cancelled “cold days.” The morale of the story is that our children didn’t really go to school in January. But don’t worry – they’ll have a full week next week (Lord willing) and then a four-day weekend for Presidents’ Day. We’ll just be over here as working parents, dying and being ever so thankful for flexible bosses and grandparents who have graciously agreed to hang with the ladies.

According to Q's hair,
the air is veerrry dry!
Tuesday and Wednesday were covered by Barbies and Play-doh. I kid you not. I got two full afternoons of the girl happily sitting at the table in cooperative play with Play-doh. It was amazing. When they needed a Play-doh break, Quinn taught Fiona how to tie shoes (a training course that has been ever so frustrating for both Fiona and me). My new parenting strategy is to just teach Quinn how to do things and she can teach the others … 

This morning found the girls and I staring at each other while I tried to work and they combated deep-seeded boredom. I normally don’t have any patience for people saying “I’m bored” – but in this case, we all feel held hostage and I don’t blame them. I’m also proud to say we’ve made it this far without iPads or movies. 

It hovered near zero this afternoon, so Mike and the girls headed outside for some fresh air and to see if the snowmobiles would still start. They do - so there are fresh tracks in the yard and rosy cheeks on the people! 

Out of the vortex, there is some good news. First (and of utmost importance), I believe there will be school tomorrow and we are READY. Second, before the temps plummeted to lows not seen in a century, it snowed. We have snow!!!! And it should warm up by the weekend for us to play in it – at our annual framily sledding party on Saturday. Snow, outside, sunshine … we are ready for it!

No comments: