I have been beyond excited to write this post. The blog in the last few months has been full of hockey and gymnastics and soccer and Q and D and their activities. Do not for one second let that make you think that the adults in this house are overlooking the talents of one Fiona Grace Vanneste. And now, at long last, I get to brag her up in all the ways she deserves.
Last summer, I did my very best to convince Bugs to do a week-long theater program. She couldn't quite get there and was adamant that she had stage fright and couldn't perform in front of all those people. In the fall, I found a class called "Six Skill for the Theater" that taught kids how to get into character, enunciate, project, and deal with stage fright (and clearly two other skills I don't remember). Fiona was super pumped about it and had the best time. Which brings us to this spring ... when I was able to convince her to participate in the production of Mystery Under the Big Top.
Everyone in her class had a part, but they went through an audition process, got their parts, memorized their lines, rehearsed for weeks, and finally performed for their families this Monday night. Fiona's been rehearsing two hours every week for the last two months leading up to Monday night. She has worked so hard and clearly put a lot of effort into learning her character, her lines, and how to be part of an ensemble.
Sunday, Fiona was a puddle of nerves. Believe me when I tell you that I use the word "puddle" intentionally. It was a disastrous spiral of tears and freak out moments. That stage fright things is tough to overcome - but after a good night's sleep, we were back on track. She was super pumped that Auntie was also making the long drive to S-town to watch her perform. Everything is better when Auntie is there!
Mike dropped her off for her final practice, took #2 and #3 to the playground, and Auntie and I met them there after we finished cleaning up dinner. We connected with Aaron, Beth, and Oliver on the playground as Fiona's friend Ellie was also in the play. Mostly promptly at 7pm, we filed into the school gym for the performance. There was a set, props, and a bunch of costume and prepared actresses. You guys, it was SO good! The plot twist was that Ellie was the villain and let me tell you - Declan did not see that coming. It was a hands cupped to mouth kind of twist!
Fiona was wonderful! She remembered her lines, embraced her character of Boppy the Clown, was so funny, and shined with pride and joy. So did those of us watching her. Mid-performance, Quinn leaned over to me and said "I just want to go hug Fiona so much." After the final bows, that is exactly what Quinn did!! After all the practices, games, and tournaments that Fiona has attended in the last few months, it was great for her siblings to show up as her cheering section.
Fiona's favorite part of the evening ... after the performance, their teacher gave a short speech about how much bravery it took to perform and all the work they put into rehearsal for a "one and done" performance. Then she awarded each of the girls a medal . Fiona wore it for the rest of the night and I ruined her life when I made her take it off to go to sleep. Unfortunately I have strict "no strangulation" rules ...
She brought her medal to school today for her sharing day and it is the envy of both her brother and sister. She's still glowing with pride and cannot wait for her theater camp this summer. Most of all, she did something that she was really scared to do and rocked it. We are so proud of her and love that she has found a thing that she truly enjoys and makes her feel successful. I think Quinn was dead on in the desire hug her!


No comments:
Post a Comment