Friday, July 31, 2020

"Old" School Birthday

I seem to do milestone birthdays with an aura of uncertainty. The 20s started out with questions of what I was going to do after college (although let's be honest ... none of us knew). The 30s started out with the fear of welcoming our first child in a couple months - plus the uncertainty of what a birth defect diagnosis meant. 40 entered in a time of global pandemic and forging of all new parenting (and life) trails. [If anyone has a crystal ball or a trail map, I'd totally take it ...]

The first year (or so) of the 20s and 30s felt really hard as I tried to wade through the uncertainty to a clearer picture. Yet somehow, through all that haze, I found and married Mike and we built our family. We made a home and a life. I'm holding on to that hope as I look toward the 40s. I keep reminding myself, the kids, Auntie, and anyone who will listen that history has proven that pandemics do not last forever. They may feel like it. But they don't. We will wade through this uncertainty too - and I am excited to see what life in the 40s (the decade my cousin B assures me is the best one) brings!

So, after all that waxing poetic, I bet you think that I did something really mature and philosophical to celebrate this milestone. And you would be wrong. Mike and I invited our two neighborhood bubble families over to drink Boone's Farm (college throwback) and listen to 90s music on the driveway! The party was supposed to start after the kids' bedtime - but the neighbors had other plans. Katie and Alice dressed up like old ladies and brought me a sign that said "Welcome to the Club." And they all showed up right after dinner (as Mike and I were getting home from our walk). It was ridiculous and hilarious and so much fun.

So, while the six adults polished off five bottles of Boone's (which tastes exactly the same as it did twenty years ago. Oh, Snow Creek Berry, you are delicious!), the kids ran around between our three yards living their best lives. The party ended about 9pm (this is 40) because we all had kids to put to bed. It was low-key and fun - with great people. Just the perfect way to celebrate a birthday!

One final thought on turning 40: I am quite pleased to be old enough to buy good alcohol. Boone's Farm is good as a gag - but hooray for better beverage choices!

No comments: