Saturday, January 2, 2021

A Good Birthday

Having a birthday five days before Christmas is not the greatest. Last year, despite our best efforts, Mike's 40th birthday was not good. So the kids and I really wanted to make this year better. His birthday was on a Sunday and we still had a couple days of school/work left, so I knew we would be in town for the big day and could do something special. 

I splurged and bought Mike a Nintendo Switch video game console - and let the kids in on the secret. I was shocked and proud that they all kept it a secret ... even Dec, who was beyond excited about the Nintendo! Mike did know that it would be good when D kept asking if we would open presents at breakfast. There was also a big box from Gma, Gpa, and Auntie that they were very curious about. I had not shared that secret with them.

We let Mike sleep in on the birthday proper and then Dec begged him to open his presents. The Switch was a big hit, although I had not realized that it didn't come with any games. So Mike got a few ordered for pick up later that day (ooops!). Dec could hardly wait to "help" test out the birthday gift. Then Mike opened the mystery box ... and found a slackline ninja warrior course. 

I made eggs and bacon for breakfast, got Mike a couple McRibs for lunch, and made a successful (and significantly less disastrous than last year) dinner of pork chops, au gratin potatoes, and strawberry shortcake. It was a good food day for Mike! [Our grill was broken last year, which is part of why the pork chops dried out. Mike grilled the chops this year and they were much better. We had a flame up issue that we feared would ruin dinner yet again - but instead, gave the chops a perfect char.]

It was a fun and relaxing day and the kids were in great moods. Mike put up the slackline course even though he had said he wouldn't (no one believed him)! It is quite difficult and will be a good challenge for the kids. My gift was watching Mike get tangled up in the ladder on the course. We also made sugar cookies and spritz cookies to bring north for Christmas. Basically I was in the kitchen all day while everyone else played video games on the new Switch. Mario Kart and Animal Crossing were big hits!

I had one final surprise up my sleeve and enlisted the kids to help me pull it off. They were so proud and excited to be part of the plan and did a great job. We hurried to make sure showers were done and dinner was cleaned up. Quinn distracted Mike while I made a couple whiskey drinks and hid them in our mailbox. 

At exactly 7:10, we headed out the door for our walk and I yelled to the kids that they could watch "one show only" ... except they knew that this night, even though I said one, they could watch two. Because at the end of our walk, I grabbed the drinks and our two neighbor family buddies walked to the ends of their driveways to toast the birthday boy and visit across the street from each other. Mike was so surprised!

Later that night, he told me that it was the best birthday he has had in quite a while. That's exactly what the kids and I were going for! They were so happy when I told them that we made Daddy's day really special. And now I know, involve them in the plans more often. They are great helpers!

No comments: