Emmy joined Mike and me for our evening walk and we had a great evening, just catching up over drinks after the kids went to bed. It has been so long since I have been able to hang out with my sister that it was just the perfect time to reconnect. We also all needed a low key night because Em was heading out fairly early in the morning to meet some friends and Mike and Quinn were heading out even earlier for hockey practice.
Then Sunday, after Quinn got home from a very early practice (they left at 6:45!), the girls hosted a Valentine's Day party for a few girlfriends. I had made funfetti and strawberry lemonade cupcakes, mixed up four different colors of frosting, and had bowls full of sprinkles and cupcake toppers. The girls invited Declan to join and they had the best time decorating Valentine cupcakes. [I had also bought containers so I could send the bulk of those cupcakes to other houses!]
Then Mike and Declan headed out for a snowmobile ride on Prior Lake while the girls (and a tray of snacks because cupcakes were not enough junk food) watched a movie in the basement. I had talked Fiona into watching 10 Things I Hate About You and she didn't love it as much as I wanted her too. Maybe she needs a couple more years to realize how wonderful it truly is. Luckily I am more than willing to watch it with her as many times as it takes!
I made an early-ish dinner of homemade mac and cheese and then the girls (and Dec*) decorated shirts. We had made little party favors of a plain white shirt, a gold heart necklace, and a Valentine scrunchie. The girls decided to make shirts to all wear the next day to school for Valentine's Day proper. After they were done decorating, they also signed each other's shirts. It was super fun to watch their creative processes.
Once the shirts were done, we brought everyone home as it was both a school night and the Super Bowl. Then the kids helped me clean up from the party and we watched the half time show [because that's the only part the kids and I care about]. We were so grateful to have a house big enough to host a few friends and the girls were very pleased with their party.
*Dec finished his shirt pretty quickly, so he and Mike made a trip to the pet store to buy two new fish to join Harry and Hermione. Ron II (III? we've lost count) and Draco are happy to join the fish family in D's room.
No comments:
Post a Comment