Sunday, October 16, 2011

Family Adventure Across State Lines

Last month, we excitedly and fearfully watched the calendar as the dates approached for our family trip to Colorado Springs. We were ready for a vacation away from the responsibilities of home, but terrified at flying with a 1-year-old. The trip was a definite success! Fiona was a champ on the flights, was mostly well-mannered and accommodating, and transitioned back into her routine when we got home fairly easily.

Sleeping on the plane ride. So sweet.
We traveled in style - complete with Gma and Gpa J and Auntie Emmy (we needed extra people to help wrangle all our crap!). We rented a house, which worked very well for 7 adults and a toddler. The kitchen was invaluable and the three bathrooms were always in demand. Mike and I even got a few minutes to enjoy the hot tub on the deck one night after bedtime. Yogi also vacationed in northern Wisconsin with Gma and Gpa N. HUGE thanks to them for watching our sweet guy!

He couldn't get over all the 7-Elevens in Colorado.
Had to get a Big Gulp!
Our main reason for the trip was to watch my cousin (our roommate) get married at the Air Force Academy. The wedding was beautiful and his new wife is wonderful. It was special to be there for it!

Amazing, beautiful chapel
And an amazing organ
She was captivated by the bridesmaids
and their sparkly shoes
Family picture at the AF Academy
We also met my college roommate Nancy, who lives in Denver, and went hiking with her at Garden of the Gods. A gorgeous place! Fiona hiked in style with our borrowed backpack carrier. Daddy and Auntie did the hard work of toting her around.

Hiking buddies
Garden of the Gods
A pretty scenic overlook
Chilling out while waiting for a ride
Nancy and me
And we took Fiona to the zoo ... where she fed a giraffe and was terrified by a monkey. We got so lucky with beautiful weather for the whole trip. Low 80s every day (and sunny) and nice cool fall evenings!

Dad - that giraffe took my lettuce!
Grandma got her a ride on the carousel
The zoo is exhausting!
All in all, we had a great time there - but were happy to be back in our lower MN altitude with our very own beds!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I just miss her and you guys sooooo much!!! She is absolutely irresistible. We
head to Europe on Thursday, but I'm thinking Anna and I need to take a trip in November to see you guys. I need my baby/toddler fix. luv u all, B

Rae said...

Gorgeous family picture!!! Now I want to go hiking...dang cold weather and flatlands! Glad you had a successful trip!!!! MISS you tons!!

Tawnda

Anonymous said...

It really was fun and you are right--she was a real trooper! SEJ

The Bartholomews said...

I was surprised at the number of 7-Elevens in other parts of the country. My brother and I are obviously easily amused :)

Anonymous said...

She was an excellent traveler (almost as good as I was at that age...)! I had so much fun with you, and I'm glad we got to go watched Matthew and Susan get hitched :)
love, "apple"