Friday, October 4, 2013

When All Else Fails, Make Up Words

Back in the spring, I wrote about Fiona’s “big girl checklist.” I’ve learned that there is apparently only one person in this house who can focus on more than five goals at a time without getting an eye twitch. To dispel confusion, that person’s name does not begin with an M, an F, a Q, or a Y. Thus, the big girl checklist was edited, prioritized, dissected, discarded, resurrected, loathed, and other such things for the last few months.

I can proudly say there has been progress. And failure. We’ll start with the failure. It’s funnier. (more updates will come over the next few blog posts)

The PRP is an epic fail around this joint. She is just not having it. And the next person who tells me to just take it away and she’ll be fine will inherit a three-year-old. And you’ll see. You’ll see.

Did you ever wonder what would happen when two people with fairly iron wills produced offspring? We can tell you. Said cute, blonde offspring have “ironer” wills. I don’t even care that ironer is not a word. It fits in this situation. Fiona is ironer!

For example, when we drove home from our 4th of July adventure up north, Quinn cried from GR to about 10 minutes north of Aitkin. That’s about 50 minutes of straight up crying for those not familiar with northern MN geography. Do you know what our parental response was to Quinn’s attitude? Amateur.

Fiona once bellowed, screamed, sobbed, and rampaged from GR to south of Milaca. I think that’s a violation of the Geneva Convention. It’s enough to make you consider stopping for an exorcism. Ironer.

Fiona’s current crying record is 5 hours. 300.minutes.of.nonstop.crying. Ironer.

You take that damn pacifier away from her. I dare you!

PS: Sunday marks our one year anniversary of the move to the big girl bed (thank you, blog record-keeping miracle). That was another collision of iron and ironer wills. We’ll extract the pacifier yet. Just have to find the right angle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh, sorry...but it's funny when it's happening to someone else;) sending luvs and patience, and ironererer will! <3 B

Anonymous said...

You need to channel your Grandpa Martin. He was a pro at getting us to do things we didn't want to do. with me he would tell me to do something and if I didn't do it it was fine don't do it and find out the consequences. Telling me not to do something was the key. Good luck, I'm sure that one day the pacifier will just not be thought of any more and will go away. Sending lots of good vibes out to the universe for you! Love M in Tucson

Nancy said...

What used to work with Mike was to make it his decision. Have you tried telling her that big girls don't use pacifiers, and it is her choice when she wants to stop using them, and then just ignore it, don't offer it to her but don't even discuss it if she wants it at bedtime. Just take pictures of her with it in her mouth so you can show them to her in later years and laugh, like I did with the pink blanket sleeper that was 4 sizes too small, to the point where the feet were cut off and the ankles were at the knees and he had to curl up to zip it...sorry for outing you Mike (not) :)