Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Fearless Fish

The winter swimming lessons session has begun. We decided to give Q a swimming lessons break (although we plan some trips to open swim with her), but wanted to keep Fiona rolling. We saw huge progress in her confidence as she did her first solo class last fall and didn't want to backpedal.

Never fear, based on tonight's experience, no backpedal in sight. We arrived 10 minutes early tonight (for the first time ever in swimming lessons history!) and I thought I may have to leash her to me to keep her from jumping in the pool before it was her class' turn. She is again the shortest (by at least 6 inches) and, from the looks of it, the youngest in the class.

She is also the most fearless. Within the first five minutes of class, all the other parents knew the tiny blonde belonged to me and were commenting on her bravery. She is really excited to learn to swim and you can see her working very hard to listen to the teacher and master the skills. Such leaps and bounds even from the final class a couple of months ago. I was telling Mike how fun it was to watch her really get something out of class. (She also kept up a constant stream of chatter that we discussed after class. Perhaps the listening ears could do a little more work than the talking mouth ...)

She also asked her teacher no less than six times if she could jump off the diving board. We'll see if they let her next week. I'm not sure anyone else in her class will follow her lead. But based on her awe of the kids in the class before hers using it, I'm pretty sure she'll jump off that sucker with no reservation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work little mermaid. In the land of 10,000+ lakes being a strong swimmer comes in handy.
Excited to hear about Fiona taking the big first dive off the board.
Love from Tucson, M

bethjohnsonmn said...

sounds like another little blonde swimmer I know :)

sjv said...

Beth - I know that blonde you speak of! They are two of a kind ... in many ways ;)

Nancy said...

Also sounds just like her daddy...at her age he was jumping off the shoulders of two teens at the pool into the deep end...they didn't have a diving board there, so he made his own high dive "board". Swimming lessons were a must for him too!

Emily said...

Can't wait to swim in the lake with my favorite little fish this summer!! :)