| Three in a chair |
Fiona twirls through life. It is so incredibly endearing. She flits and floats, makes up stories and songs, holds hands with her imaginary kids, goes on imaginary trips. Her mind is so creative and we love to watch what she thinks up.
On the flip side, all that imagining means there is no space in her life for forward progress. "Fiona, please go brush your teeth." And she runs past the bathroom to her bedroom. "Fiona, what are you doing?" Oh, clearly going to kiss Declan. "Fiona, brush your teeth." And she runs past the bathroom to the living room. "Fiona, what are you doing?" Oh, going to get Clifford. "Fiona, brush your teeth." And somewhere in this, I've gone from asking to seething. But she doesn't read the cues yet. So when I finally can't take her running by the bathroom one more time and NOT brushing her teeth, she's surprised when I yell. [I'm not wishing away the years because I actually do love four and her wanting to climb in my lap and kisses and all that good stuff. But I'm hoping at some point, she'll read the eye and lip twitches and maybe, just maybe, act before I have to go bat crap crazy! ... probably not]
We are working on our patience and clearly explaining expectations to her. She truly is working on listening better. Some days are better than others - but isn't that the case with any of us.
3 comments:
I have little words other than...YES. Our house also.
This reminded me of when Anna was little. We use to constantly say, "Anna, focus!" We said it so much we were certain she would grow up thinking the F-word was "focus"…not such a bad thing;)
B
I think all 4 year olds lose their listening ears for a year! There is just so much life to live! I'm glad to report that they do get through it and find those listening ears again later. I love four!
Post a Comment