Thursday, January 21, 2016

Dec Talks

Seriously too big!
Declan is at one of my favorite ages - when it is totally unpredictable what will come out of that little baby's (I'm trying to pretend he's still a baby. he's not cooperating!) mouth. But it's almost always funny!

Dec is a total parrot and will happily repeat anything. As toddlers do, many of his words sound the same (snowman, no want, careful normally all sound alike ... right?) so we pray for context - or one of the girls to translate. His favorite words tell you everything about this sweet guy: hockey, ball, Nona (Fiona), Kinny (Quinny), Gogi, mine, cookie (pacifier), and cookie (cookie).

Here are my favorite recent incidents of toddler talk:
Crazy hat hair
  • He was at day care and A was cleaning him up after a meal. There was something stuck particularly well near his eye. A unintentionally said out loud, "hmm, I wonder what this is ..." and Dec looked at her and said, "my eye."
  • On Sunday, the girls were really tired and ready for bed, but because of a long nap, Dec was all about having a party in his crib. After a couple trips back to the bedroom (one to help Q with the back-up flashlight as Dad needs to fix hers - that sucker could land an airplane - and one to remind Dec that his mattress was actually not a trampoline), I headed back one more time to do a final flashlight check. Dec was finally lying down in his bed, but I could tell he wasn't asleep yet. I was leaving the room and heard a robot baby voice from the crib (I think he was trying to whisper), "Declan. sleeping." It was seriously all I could do to not burst out laughing.
  • When we got home from Christmas in GR, we opened the presents from Santa. Bugs opened the Magic Box of Seven Princess Barbies and because she embraces her emotions, the neighbors were probably aware of her level of excitement at the "BARRRRRRRBBIEEES!" When Dec opened his box of hockey gear next, he got really excited and shrieked "Barbies!" And then quickly changed to yelling "hockey."
Reading his farm book

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Dec! You are getting so big! I just can't handle how fast these babies grow up! Love the pic with the hat backwards…too cute:)