Friday, January 29, 2016

Times. They Are A-Changin'

Their love doesn't change!
Don't be fooled by the quiet on the blog front this week. It's has been an incredibly busy week for us in so many ways. Lots of churn in our world. And you guys, I don't like churn. Status quo and I - we're good pals. Except when status quo is teething. Then I'm ready for change.

An example of my change management skills: We own two TVs. One upstairs in the living room. One downstairs in the family room. They are, for all intents and purposes, the same. Except the one in the living room (where 95% of our TV watching occurs) is a bit possessed when you try to turn it off - to the point where Mike essentially rigged a kill switch. To turn the thing on or off was a series of sequential button pushes, akin to nuclear launch codes. But (after a rigorous training class) I knew the codes, so was totally good. 

Then one day, out of nowhere, Mike switched the TVs! He brought the TV (that we already owned) from the basement to the upstairs and brought the upstairs TV (that we already owned) down. You know, the "almost the same" TVs that have lived with us for years. Gasp! It took me a week to stop being twitchy about it ...

Now that you all are feeling sorry for Mike, imagine our world on Sunday night, when our amazing A - our day care provider whom we have been with for over 5 years - called and told us she got a job. And would be closing in three weeks! 

So, we've been searching, calling, emailing, texting, skywriting, smoke-signaling, and miscellaneous other forms of communication with the day care community in S-town to try to find a new home for Q and D ... preferably one that can also take (and cath) Fiona for the summer. We've had one good interview and have a couple more meetings set up. With any luck, we'll be locked in by this time next week. 

So we are moving ahead as a team to define our new normal. And even the most change-averse of us (Q and me) seem to be on board and doing well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh boy, that's a major phone call! Wishing you good luck in finding the perfect care provider for the kiddos. Whoever you get to spend time with them will be lucky!

Jocelyn said...

Just now catching up... and HUGS because finding a new daycare is hard work! Hannah's first daycare closed back in May 2015 (and it was the same daycare Eli had gone to for 2.5 years), and I spent several weeks of that spring looking for her current place (which thankfully, I like a lot).

Then, when we were planning to move in August, I had to find another new daycare, and I think that was more stressful than everything else related to the house (well, before the deal with the house fell apart).

Her current school is a Montessori school, and at some point (probably August 2017), we'll move her to a more structued preschool program. But I'm hoping she can stay put (and do well) where she is for another year-and-a-half.