Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Preschool Prep

In addition to interviewing new day care providers last week, we squeezed in attendance at the S-town School District preschool extravaganza to let Quinn check out the digs for the next school year. Fiona was more than happy to show her sister around the school and introduce her to every.single.person who works there. No joke - that girl knows everyone!

We had a great time checking out the STEM room, the classrooms, the cafeteria (where we had pizza for dinner*), and the gym. We ran into our neighbor**, which was super fun as winter can make you forget you have neighbors. We found Queen Elsa in the gym and the kids took a picture with her. Even better, the school mascot (Sammy the Saber) was there with some of the high school cheerleaders. I'm not sure we've ever seen Quinn smile as big as she did when they handed her a pom-pom. That whole "strangers should not look at nor touch me" did not apply to cheerleaders! Dec was very unsure of the mascot and coped by climbing into the lap of the closet cheerleader and asking her for snuggle. Our gang - apparently they like cheerleaders!

The unfortunate part of the evening was that instead of registering Quinn for preschool, I stood at the registration table, mouth agape, as a lovely lady tried to explain to me why the cost of the program had increased $250/month. Without getting into specifics, it is now VERY expensive. Like so expensive that we can almost send her to the Montessori school for the same amount. Like so expensive that we need to do some serious thinking on our game plan. The thinking was placed on the back burner while the great day care search commenced, but now that we've found a day care (holla!), we'll resume those discussions.

Two other interesting items of note from preschool open house:
*We made Fiona take a piece of pizza (both Mike and I were secretly planning to eat it). As usual, I made her take a bite. She got the funniest look on her face, those blue eyes sparkled, and she shrieked, "I love it." She's asked for pizza for dinner several times since then. While delighted, I'm also confused. And I was hungry. Because she ate my pizza! 
**Our neighbor K has a daughter who is just a few months older than Fiona. E is in Kindergarten this year and K works from home. I was talking to K at the open house and asked if Fiona could come over in the mornings before school in the fall and catch the bus with E. K thought this was a great idea. Until we discovered that somehow we are zoned for different elementary schools. Even though we live right across the street from each other. Sigh ... so I need to call the district to try to untangle that "fun" discovery.  

No comments: