Tuesday, November 8, 2016

I'm With Us

I've decided the best way to deal with the election results coming in tonight is alcohol and Doritos. This year's presidential election has been incredibly divisive to our country. My hope is that we can all wake up tomorrow morning, accept the results, choose kindness and respect, and celebrate the fact that we get a vote and a voice in our country's government.

Mike and I are fiercely private about our voting tendencies. In general, we lean the same way. One of us leans farther than the other. But neither one of us is opposed to crossing party lines for the right candidate. We have talked about the election in front of our kids in general terms. Like what the president does. Why voting is important. Yada yada. I'm positive that none of the children could have told you who was running.

Bugs got to vote at school today and was so so proud. She voted for Hillary. Because "I got to vote for a girl to be president, mom. A GIRL!" Her class elected Trump 10 votes to 9 votes. We got to have an amazing conversation tonight with her (and Q listening intently) about how every vote counts and if one person had voted for Hillary in her class instead of Trump, Hillary would have won. And how even if you vote for the person who does not win, it doesn't make your vote less important. She asked who we voted for. We told her. And told her why. As we tucked her into bed tonight, she told Mike to be sure to tell her who won when he gets her up tomorrow morning.

Hanging chad-like debacles aside, by morning the election should be over. I have a preferred result. But more than anything, I hope we can heal the divide of the election as a country and move forward with love, tolerance, and respect for each other. Even if they disagree with us. We have that right.

3 comments:

Rachel Lind said...

Amen cousin!

Anonymous said...

Let's all send positive thoughts out to the Universe and hope that it reflects back to us. My vote is for PEACE and understanding and that everyone can find a little tolerance and kindness in their hearts.
As tomorrow is Veteran's Day......here is a Hurrah to Our Troops past and present and may they be remembered for their ultimate gift to Our Country and the many sacrifices they have given to protect us.
Peace Out! M in Tucson

Jocelyn said...

Great post!