Sunday, April 22, 2018

Lately

Somewhat embarrassing confession ... other than a handful of songs, I can't tell the difference between Green Day and Barenaked Ladies. I know ... they sound completely different according to my better half (and everyone else we know). And yet, I consistently mix them up.

We were listening to 90s radio last weekend and a great song came on. Fiona got really excited and said "ooooh, Green Day." It was Third Eye Blind. There may be something about an apple and a tree in this story.

***********************************************

During dinner one night this week, I was killing it on "what song is this?" while we were listening to music (clearly it wasn't a Green Day station ...). Our Google Home was freaking out a little and Mike jokingly said, "Google, you suck." Fiona sighed and said, "Dad, you probably should hear this song that we learned in Sunday School." Then, she and Quinn sang "Be careful little mouth, what you say." And I laughed and laughed and laughed.

***********************************************

Before bedtime, we watched Friend Like Me from Aladdin for our video. Then we talked about what a genie was and I asked each of the kids what they would wish for if they had one wish. Fiona wished for a pet unicorn. Quinn wished for a cake. Dec wished for a new pup for his Paw Patrol set. Mike jokingly wished for sardines. And then I less jokingly wished to not be able to smell the sardines. It may be safe to say that other than Fiona, the rest of us need to work on our wishes.

************************************************

Quinn and I took Dec to sports camp on Wednesday. It was track and field day (his favorite). At one point, there were thirteen 3-year-olds with either a frisbee or a softball, practicing throwing. It was the epitome of "every man for himself." I told Quinn to guard her head. Dec practiced throwing. Quinn and I apparently joined a pick up game of dodgeball. I will give Dec that generally his projectile went in the direction he was aiming. Not all the kids in sports camps could say the same.

When we got home, Quinn spotted something on the table. You leave Mike and Fiona unsupervised and a drone comes to live at our house. Based on the videos they showed us of the inaugural flights, the drone would have fit in well in the craziness of sports camp. The kids' favorite was when it hit the ceiling and landed upside down on the floor. Not my favorite, when it came buzzing by my head and crashed in the kitchen the next night while I was making dinner.

No comments: