Holy smokes! I did it. Thirteen posts in September! What did we learn ... not to get a month behind on blog posts. That's what we learned. I hope you won't be seeing another month of thirteen anytime soon. It was stressful, guys! But I met my very aggressive goal of getting completely caught up by end of September. Just in time to go radio silent for at least a week as I head out of town for the annual complete mental, physical, and emotional drain that is Emerson Exchange. So that thing we just learned about not getting so far behind ...
Anyways, back to the task at hand. I thought we'd round out this month of all the blog posts with three things about the gang as we head into fall.
Fiona
I put an online library app on Fiona's iPad to enable her to do her daily reading homework during her morning flush. We were looking up joke books and I found a holiday one. So I read her a joke: What do witches sing during the holidays? The answer was Deck the Halls with Poison Ivy but Fiona answered We Witch You a Merry Christmas. Point for Fiona. Hers was totally better!
Fiona is starting to astound us more and more on how many songs she knows. I mean, we know she knows the words to all things Lady Gaga, Katie Perry, Taylor Swift, and Newsies. But on her birthday, Google was playing music and Bohemian Rhapsody came on. She sang almost every word! I was floored (and so proud) that she knew it. Mike introduced her to Metallica tonight. She was doubtful, but her dad was dead on. She loved it! 80s rock is kinda her jam.
Fiona starts a drama class on Monday night. During the seasonal "extracurriculars" chat, she really was pulled toward the theater options. But as our perfectionist, she was nervous to commit to being in a play. She kept telling me that she wished there was a class that would teach her about being in a play. Lo and behold, there was one! She's super pumped about it and thinks maybe she'll want to be in a play in the spring. We know she'd be great.
Quinn
Quinn got a $20 gift card to Target for her birthday. When we went to the store to use it, both she and Declan accompanied me. They were so cute looking through all the aisles together. Eventually Quinn asked how much Hot Wheels cars cost. I told her they were a $1 each. She went back to her shopping but I kept hearing her say seventeen. She found some food for her American Girl doll that was around seventeen dollars and was so pumped. Then she told Dec that he could go pick out three Hot Wheels and she would buy them for him. He ended up with a five-pack of Jurassic Park cars and an unending gratitude for the sweetness of his sister. He told Fiona about how exciting it was - but I don't think biggest sister was taking the hint!
We were driving home from Burnsville last night and Guns n' Roses came on the radio. Bugs knew it was Sweet Child of Mine. I helped her out a bit when Mike asked her which album it was on. Then he asked what year the album came out. Quinn, who shows very little interest in GnR, pipes up "1989." And Mike and I were completely speechless. How in the heck!?!? Mike had thought it was '89. I looked it up. It was '87. We're still going to give it to her!
Quinn has started gymnastics at a local gym and is the happiest Quinn we've ever seen. Her class is a bit more advanced than she has done before. She's both enjoying and rising to the challenge. It's been a new experience for her to not be able to immediately do all the skills in the class. Quinn does well being pushed to do more.
Declan
Auntie Tracey was trying to take pictures of the troops for me at the girls' birthday party (you can see her good work as the photos in this post). The little dude was simply not going to make it easy on Auntie. Every time he saw her pick up her camera, he took off running in the opposite direction. Lucky for me, Auntie is tricky. She caught him coming around a corner and got the perfect shot of him. Dec is the poster child for feeling like hard work is worth the effort.
Last night, we were at the mall running some errands. One of the girls had a rather embarrassing incident. I was doing my best to be comforting, but there were big tears streaming down sister's cheeks. Dec saw that my efforts were not going well and started quite the sing and dance routine. Those tears turned to giggles in no time. It was the first time I've ever really seen him step up in the brother role. And if this is any indication, he's pretty top notch.
Dec grew so much this summer. When I put the summer clothes in the drawers at the end of May, I pulled all the 2T and put in 3T. Just four months later when the fall clothes went into the drawers, it was out with the 3T and in with the 4T. He basically skipped a size! We also can't keep the boy in shoes that fit. He has change management skills like his mama, so I've been doing a lot of the turnover when he's not around. Otherwise we have a repeat of a few mornings ago when he sobbed because I made him wear underwear that wasn't too small.
The Rest of Us
Mike has decided to go back to school to get his bachelor's degree. He's attending Purdue University online and is pursuing a degree with an IT focus. He's currently working his way through college algebra ... and I am not jealous of that! We are pleased that several of his credits from St. Cloud transferred, so at least that helps.
We just finished re-siding our house. It has been a long time coming, so we are very excited to have it done and improve the curb appeal. We had a contractor do the work, which hurt Mike a little bit. But it was so nice for him to not worry about finding the time to do it himself.
Yogs is shedding like crazy. Shouldn't he be putting on his winter coat instead of losing it?!?! We're trying to keep up on the brushing because the furballs are terrible right now. However, it is Yogi's favorite time of year. He loves being outside with us in the perfect fall temps.
1 comment:
I just got caught up on the last three posts, but I know I have more to read tonight. But I wanted to give a big virtual hug to Fiona... SUCH A BIG, BRAVE, SWEET GIRL!!! Also, can you get me a shirt? ;-)
Post a Comment