We had the girls' "spring" conferences a couple weeks ago. It seems that when they actually go to school, they are doing well. We had another snow day this week. Between regular "no school" days, cold days, and snow days, the girls have been out of school for NINE days since the end of winter break. That's almost two full weeks!! Add in a late start or two and it's been bumpy - but we are surviving.
When school is actually in session and we are not buried in the 31+ inches of snow so far this month (remember how I complained in January that there was no snow? February took note!), the kids are each excelling in their own ways. It's been so fun watching them find their groove this school year!
Declan
Declan's school has not been cancelled due to weather and he is not sure he is down with all the extra time the girls have spent at home. We keep telling him that it's not that fun when Mom or Dad are trying to work. The category 5 hurricane state of the basement does not have him convinced.
I registered D for Kindergarten and we have Auntie lined up for a big day in April so we can do our final Kinder Round Up day. It's so crazy to think our baby is about to head off to school with his sisters!
He did all his Valentines all by himself. I spelled his friends' names (out loud) and he wrote every letter. Then he carefully signed his name on each one as well. He was very proud to do it and was clearly concentrating - because the tongue was out in full force.
Quinn
At Quinn's conference, her teacher told us that Quinn was already at the reading level goal for the end of the year. She is also almost proficient in sight words through a 2nd grade level. Sometimes having an older sister (and driving her insane with your interest in her homework) is useful. Quinn likes to read, but she's much more interested in working on her math skills. She told everyone at her conference that math was her favorite subject!
Mrs. H also told us that Quinn was one of the several kids in her class who begged for daily homework. She said she'd never had a class ask for it before, but this class is totally on board. Quinn loves her daily worksheet and rarely complains about having to do her homework.
While Gma and Gpa were snowed in down here, Quinn was telling Grandpa that she was learning some basic multiplication on her own. Before long, Gpa was writing out equations for Q that included division, order of operation, and negative numbers. And you guys, with a little explanation, Q was doing them ALL. She and Gpa had the very best time and I doubt this will be the last math marathon they have together. [Also, please note in the photo of her worksheet, that she and Gpa have essentially the same handwriting. He wrote the equations but she wrote all the answers]
Fiona
It was abundantly clear in Fiona's conference what a difference this year is from last year. She adores her teacher and Mrs. G feels the same. She really understands Fiona and yet pushes her to do better. But instead of making Fiona feel badly when she needs help or a reminder, Mrs. G builds F up on all the things she does well. We are seeing her confidence in school grow and I think she actually is starting to believe me when I tell her that not liking math is not the same as being "not smart" in math.
For career day, Fiona headed to school dressed as a vet (Q was a chef). She told me when I picked her up that people thought she was a doctor all day. I asked her if she corrected them. She told me no - because she's not sure if she wants to help people or animals. She's keeping her options open!
Fiona's latest reading obsession is biographies. She cannot get enough information about famous people and we have books about presidents scattered throughout the house. Regardless of the room she's in, she can get her fix of facts. We played an entertaining game one night where she couldn't remember the names of the people on Mrs. G's books, so she would describe what the cover looked like and I would guess the person. Thankfully I love biographies as much as she does, so was rock solid at her game.




1 comment:
Wow, Quinn and math sounds like Mikey and math from many years ago! I love math too. And I love the doctor/vet plan, Fiona! Maybe you could study really hard and be both doctor and vet! And Declan, you will be in the big kid school before you know it...and I bet you will do really great there, you are so smart! I miss you guys!
Post a Comment