After a year hiatus due to spring break, early Easter, and the fact that there was still snow, our annual egg hunt with our friends was back in business. Easter is SO weird, you guys. Last year, the girls and I froze in our Easter dresses because it was 14 degrees outside. This year, it was almost 80 degrees and four out of five Vannestes claimed it was already too hot ... and when would it be winter again. Sigh. We did not, however, freeze in our Easter dresses ...
I effectively managed my egg hunt stress level by simply not counting how many eggs we hid. If I don't know, I can't stress about what is unfound. It worked really great for me. I think it stressed Mike and my dad out though! Shortly after lunch, we sent the kids over to the neighbors while we hid an unknown number of eggs (there were close to 200 ... because I never do anything halfway). The wind made it tricky to keep eggs "on" things - but later kept people from dying of heat stroke in April, so you know, trade offs.
Just after 2pm when all the friends and neighbors had assembled, I made them do the obligatory group photo and then we turned them loose in the backyard. Bugs took to heart my rule about letting the littler kids get the easy ones and wound up with fewer eggs than Dec. She let it bother her for a few minutes and then was able to move on. Sweet friends shared candy with her and she realized that no one had a huge candy haul.
The kids checked out their candy haul, we ate the "carrot garden" ice cream cake that the kids and I had made, and then kids ran around our yard sweating and dirty for the next two hours while the adults hung out. We had a sweet 90s pop Name That Tune contest going. It was fantastic! Except the part where all our chairs are stored with the camper so no one had a place to sit. But we made it work and laughed about how literally everything we want for spring is in the camper. Things sounded like such a good idea in October ...
Once our friends left, I ran everyone through the shower because they were so dirty and gross. I also needed to assess the sunburn situation. We were not thinking sunscreen in April, especially after the aforementioned 14 degree Easter of last year. You'll be not shocked to know that my sunburn was the worst. And no one's was very serious. We all just look like we've seen sun in the last six months. So that's kinda nice.
We had our ham dinner Saturday night with my parents and, despite the fact that I had already washed them, the kids went back out to jump on the trampoline one more time. Sometimes you just have a need to jump. Everyone was tired and ready for bed. Bunny anticipation did mean that they struggled to fall asleep a bit - but it's hard to blame them for that!
So far ... we've only found one leftover egg in the yard. Our egg hunt crew is clearly top notch! We were all really happy for the return of one of our favorite holiday traditions.



No comments:
Post a Comment