Saturday, June 1, 2019

Took Grandpa to the Baseball Game

Gma and Gpa came down to visit for part of Memorial Day weekend. Since they were coming, I took a chance and put my name in a drawing for tickets to the Saturday Twins game. I won four tickets (plus a pre-paid parking pass!) for the Legend's Club, which is my dad's favorite place to sit. So Gpa and I planned to go to the game ... with two children to be named later.

The selection process went surprisingly smooth. Quinn and Declan both wanted to go. Bugs said that she was indifferent and if they wanted to go, that was cool with her. [Such a mature approach!! When did she get old?!?!] When she found out that not going meant a special date with Grandma, she was confident in her decision. Quinn waffled for several days (Grandma or Grandpa? Grandma or Grandpa? ...) before she fully committed to the game. Mike mowed the lawn and did homework.

There was very little traffic on the drive to the field, which was delightful. We paid the price as it took us longer to get through security to enter the stadium than it did to drive up there. We parked 30 minutes before the start of the game and sat our butts in our seats as they threw the first pitch. Apparently it was a sellout game. Mike told me the announcers said that people were still waiting to get in at the third inning. So I guess we should be grateful that it only took us a half hour!

The first inning was great - and then two rather large (and tall) people chose to not sit in their assigned seats, instead sitting directly in front of the two tiny members of our group. So by the 2nd inning, Gpa and I each had a lap buddy. Quinn predictably attached herself to Gpa and I got the pleasure of entertainment by the dude. We had such fun conversations about all the important topics ... which way to wear a baseball cap (sideways, he decided), why it's called a baseball cap, why you wear a baseball cap to t-ball instead of a "t-ball cap," what the nicknames of all the Twins players are, and how many innings he has to wait until I break down and buy him ice cream (it's five).

The kids and I made a few trips up to the Legend's Club concourse for various reasons, not limited to filling the water bottle, the bathroom, and ice cream. Especially when we have the kids, I appreciate how it is much less busy and easy to walk around for folks who want to make it for the whole game but have the wiggles. But the highlight of the trip was when Quinn noticed that the Twins mascot, TC Bear, sat down IN OUR ROW! We hustled down to get hugs, high fives, and a picture or two!

It took nearly three hours to get to the 8th inning, so Dad and I decided we would leave then. Dec was game (the small fortune I dropped for an even smaller amount of ice cream was long since inhaled), but Quinn was ticked off that we were going. She was enjoying the game and hoping to see a Twins homerun and its accompanying fireworks. But it was getting late and we had dinner plans with the rest of the crew.

Knowing it was a sell-out crowd, we were happy to get out of the stadium and the parking ramp before the big rush. We turned on the radio to listen to the rest of the game ... and wouldn't you know it, the Twins hit a homer in the 8th. In case you were wondering, YES, Quinn is still mad about that. But - the 8th was 35 minutes long, so Dad and I stand by our choice. The game ended just as we were pulling into S-town and it was another Twins win for the books.

Going to a game with my dad is one of my favorite things and we truly enjoyed bringing a couple new fans to train them up. Word on the street is that Fiona and Gma had a pretty great date as well. A girls lunch, the library, trying on clothes, and tricking Gma into buying you a new Barbie ... what could be better!?!

In case you were wondering, Mike got an A on his homework too!

No comments: