Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Quinn is 7 1/2

This past Saturday, Miss Quinn Scarlett Vanneste turned seven and a half. As you know, halves matter here. I thought I'd share a few stories to give you a taste of the cool 7.5 year old we have the privilege of hanging with every day.

Mike ordered a pair of skis for the kids, and they arrived on Friday. Sunday afternoon, we were back out on the hill with skis, sleds, and snowboards in tow (seriously, guys. We honest to goodness have all.the.winter.toys!). Quinn was trying the skis first, so Mike got her set up and off she went down the hill. Right toward a tree. Also - Mike had not yet taught her how to stop. Yet, about two feet short of the tree, Q executed a perfect ski stop because she had watched Mike do it once. While I cannot fathom it, I am in awe of her skills.

I spent most of my evening tonight spotting front and back walkovers - because her gymnastics coach had told her to practice at home. When I was not available, the couch was her spotter (insert sighs about the losing battle of my furniture NOT being playground equipment). And apparently Mike snapped her with a shirt while they were getting ready for bed. Thankfully, he claims he did not teach her how to do it - despite her intense interest. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't concerned for Fiona and my safety.

Grandpa was here this weekend and Quinn proudly guided him to the community center when he brought her to hockey on Saturday. She also has decided that emptying the dishwasher is HER job and she is becoming quite the proficient sous chef. She loves pulling out the cookware and ingredients I need to make dinner, and you can find her perched on the counter during the preparation of most meals. In game-changer news, she can also get her own breakfast (and sometimes Declan's) - which is delightful on both school and weekend mornings.

Quinn is analytical, inquisitive, and funny. She is deeply interested in the HOW and WHY of things. And her wit is world-class. She still does not want to admit she has feelings - and we judge how funny things are by seeing if Q cracks a smile. [Note: Ellen's Game of Games. Funny. Spaceballs. On the fence.]

We are so proud of her - but not because she is naturally good at most things. Instead, it is because she works really hard to become better at them. Quinn asked me a few days ago what "determined" means. And there is no better definition than Quinn herself. She sets her bar high and works relentlessly to get there. Unless it is something she does not care about. Then good luck to you.

No comments: