We successfully recruited our same partners as last year. Alice and I randomly had discovered that in the past, both Mike and Jesse had dressed up like Bret Michaels. So we decided this year, they would recreate those iconic looks and we would be their 80s groupies. As I was registering our team, Mike wanted to watch a show together. I told him that it would then be in his best interest to help me think up a clever team name. He suggested Pick Your Poison and it was perfect!
We were lucky to have Gpa V in town, so he wrangled the troops - including getting Quinn to the rink for her game - while we did our plunge. I got us an early plunge time and because it was so efficient, we only missed a few minutes of her game. Since we were in a hurry to get the game, we showed up with our 80s rock makeup still on. So I'm sure we were quite the talk of the rink.
The kids were very intrigued by our costumes and Dec told me multiple times that I looked "like a real 80s girl." I don't know if he actually knows what that means, but it was nice nonetheless. Looking back at the photos, I can say with all confidence that my giant ponytail and Mike's eyeliner game was on point! This is probably my favorite costume that we've done for the plunge. And it might get repeated next year as our other neighbors promise to be in town to join us - and Katie was not happy to miss dressing like an 80s groupie!
The plunge itself almost felt like cheating. We walked straight from the bus to the front of the line, flashed our wristbands and went right into the changing tents. We dropped our stuff and met in the lobby. No one else was there (I think there were several big groups with a lot of rookies who were having trouble getting organized) so we walked straight out to the tunnel. For the first time ever, there was no one in the tunnel either. So we walked right up to the edge of the platform, grabbed hands, and jumped in. Literally no time to think or process the experience. Just like that, we were done and on our way back to the tent.
Alice and I spent more time standing in the tent after our plunge waiting to get to our stuff than any other part of the day. Also, I am telling you. So many rookies trying to wrestle on skinny jeans and leggings. Two words, ladies ... yoga pants. We jumped on the bus back to BWW, jumped in our car, dropped our wet stuff off at home, and were at the rink for two hockey games. I'm telling you, so smooth, it felt like cheating. In fact, all four of us kinda wanted to jump again! Next year.
The best part of the day was when we were waiting to get on the bus to the plunge. There was a group of 20-somethings waiting too. Then one of them looks at Mike and Jesse and says (with a tone of confusion), "are you both dressed like Bret Michaels?!?!" They proudly said yes and told them our team name. And we were the heroes to a group of millennials.
The second best part was when Alice and I totally "mom-ed" a different group of millennials who had forgotten extra shoes and were going to jump in their $100+ leather shoes. We told them in no uncertain terms that the choice was the wrong one and sent them off to the Target that was right next door. I saw their pictures posted as well - and they found alternative footwear. You are welcome, silly millennials!
In all, our team raised over $1000 for Special Olympics and we can't wait to do it again next. Until two days before the plunge, at least.




1 comment:
These pictures are always my favorite!!!
Post a Comment