Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Q's Birthday: Knives and Make Up

Turns out, whether I blog about it or not, Quinn is still turning eight. So I suppose I have to stop pretending like it didn't happen and share how we spent the best day celebrating our birthday girl!

We still are not quite ready for full-on parties, but Quinn was very happy to have a small birthday parade and cake with the neighborhood crew (plus Gpa V). Since her birthday was on a Saturday, we were able to do everything on the actual day. Such a treat! We started the morning by letting her open her presents from us -- her very own set of kitchen knives (which is a normal and appropriate gift for an eight-year-old ... right?!?!?) and a cake decorating set that included a turntable and cake leveler. She was beyond delighted!

We got ourselves ready for the day just in time for her family Zoom birthday party. Hearing Happy Birthday over Zoom is quite the collision of sound, but she delighted in seeing her people, opening a few presents, and telling them all about her new kitchen gear. She was so excited about her new make-up set from her cousins and a school room set for her American Girl doll from Auntie. 

Once the Zoom symphony was over, we headed to the kitchen to make her cake. She had requested a homemade (no cheating, mom) red velvet cake with homemade cream cheese frosting. Once the cake was cooled (girlfriend is now quite sure she needs a blast chiller and does not care for her dad saying there is no room for one), I showed her how to use her new decorating tools and she mostly decorated her own cake. She did a really great job and was incredibly proud - especially when Mike (who doesn't like cake) and Mr. Mike (our neighbor who is a chef) both said her cake was delicious!

Grandpa V arrived at our house just in time for lunch and we were both thrilled to see him and confused that there was a person in our house! The parade was a huge hit and she got to see her sweet friend C and Uncle Brad. Her special day would just not be complete without her favorite Uncle Brad (seriously, how does he rank so high on the list?!?!) Our neighbors banded together to do quite the honking parade, with signs and presents handed out the windows. 

We got to keep Grandpa for the whole day (he spent the night in the camper!), so he joined us for Q's birthday dinner of grilled chicken tacos. [Side note: both Q and D picked tacos for their birthday dinner and I may retire from parenting now. I've taught them all I can.] 

We tried to kill Gpa with the peppers we grew in our garden. They pack quite a kick! I thought I had bought jalapenos. As they grew, we didn't think they looked right. Then Mike picked one, gave Dec a lick of it, and Dec proceeded to cry, almost throw up, drink a glass of milk, and eat two bananas before it stopped hurting. Obviously that meant Mike and Gpa put those peppers on their tacos! We've since determined that they are not jalapenos and are serrano peppers.

Quinn's gifts this year fit her so well and she truly loved all of them. She got American girl doll accessories, new cookbooks, a math workbook, slime, makeup, and a sewing kit. You all know this girl so well and she felt the love. The day after her birthday, she was giving me a hug and told me that it was "one of the best birthdays ever." 

Final note: the simple birthday celebrations of 2020 are completely delightful and I could get used to them!

No comments: