Mike and the girls were in! Dec and his lower lip were out.
To readjust Dec's lip, I told him we could invite his friend A over to skate and Dec could choose what he and I had for dinner. Whatever he wanted. I would make it or we could do takeout. His choice. He decided that Mommy/Decky night sounded acceptable. Then the rink melted. So we had A over to play outside instead.
A came home from hockey with Dec and Coach Dad, Mike took the world's fastest shower, and off he and the girls headed with their roller blades in hand. They were so excited. Mike didn't bring his blades because the rules said that brakes were required (and he removed his brakes long ago). He regretted that choice as he ended up in roller skates for the night. And told me "all the other hockey dads made fun of me." So did the girls. We all got quite the kick out of picturing him in roller skates.
Right before they left, I said "don't forget to take pictures for the blog." Mike took exactly zero pictures - but claims it was because he was too busy hanging out with the girls. Fi-ine. He said the girls skated almost the entire two hours and had so much fun. Fiona did really well on her blades and was super proud that she was just as good as several of the other girls. She's worked really hard over the last year - and it was awesome to see it pay off for her.
Meanwhile, I was hanging out with two of my favorite 1st grade boys. They played driveway roller hockey while I was their goalie. Then we went down to the smooth cul de sac for more roller blading. Next, it was driveway baseball while I pitched. At the end of our play date, I let them walk on the rink. A had wanted to try it out right away, but I told him his feet would probably get wet so we should do it when his mom was coming. Yep - not 40 seconds after they started, A's feet broke through the corner and he had wet feet. It's almost like I knew how little boys work ...
Once A and his wet feet left, D and I were ready for dinner. With the world as his oyster for choosing dinner, we had ... peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. In order to make it a little bit special, I made us "triple decker" sandwiches. Mike totally saw through it and said "is that so you didn't have to make him another sandwich?" It was. But I still had to make him another one!
Then we watched a handful of Marvel movie trailers. He's not quite old enough for all the Avenger movies, but the trailers felt like such a treat to him. We, of course, followed this up with an in-depth discussion about the Avengers, their powers, which movie we think is the best [Thor: Ragnorak], and how old he needs to be to watch the movies [nine].
Dec and I finished the night with him showing off how clever he is when we played Three Questions -
Me: Who is your favorite friend?D: AndrewMe: What's your favorite thing to do?D: Play with AndrewMe: [purposefully asking a question he can not answer with "Andrew"] What is your favorite thing about Mom?D: [without missing a beat] That you let me play with AndrewMe: Tricky boy! Okay, your turn ...D: Who is your favorite one of my friends?Me: [sigh] AndrewD: What is one of my friends who starts with A?
Clearly I lost Three Questions - even though it's not a win/lose game. However, he did set me up on that second question. Because there is a certain little girl in his class whom he has quite a little crush on. He cannot say her name without blushing, giggling, and scrunching up his eyes. It's so sweet and we actually got to have a little chat about her too.
It was late to bed for the full gang and three out of five Vs needed Tylenol for sore muscles. But everyone was smiling and full of joy. Minus the masks, it almost felt like normal.


1 comment:
I'm so glad they all had fun! The bar may have been raised for Daddy/Daughter evening!
Post a Comment