Now, back to our regularly scheduled one-and-a-half month old post.
Saturday morning, I accomplished the impossible. I got Brad to go running with me. Mike and Cheryl stood in disbelief when this actually happened. Then later that day, B went for a six mile bike ride. And C asked me what on earth I had done to her husband! B claims that next year when Eric's knee is healed, he has to take back the responsibility of running with me. We'll see - because after years of groundwork to get B to run with me, it feels unlikely that I will let that success go.
Saturday afternoon, it was extremely sunny, but not particularly warm (which feels weird to complain about as it is currently so.very.hot in Minnesota). Nonetheless, Mike, Cheryl, and I brought the kids to the beach, figuring they wouldn't last very long. We were extremely wrong. The kids hung in there all afternoon and had the best time. Except Q. She got really cold in the water - but was such a good sport and just hung out on a towel or with the adults. And then eventually played in the sand with the kids.
As is tradition, the kids dug a huge hole and had the best time working as a team. It's so fun to see how they all play together. And although it is getting tougher for our girls (it is all boys in the "older kids" group - except for our girls. In fact, it's a rather boy heavy camping group in general. Conversely, Dec got to go fishing unsupervised with the big boys and pretty much lived his very best life), they hold their own playing with the boys. Quinn was all in on the badminton tournament. And put the boys to shame on the ninja course. Fiona (and Q) was happy to play with the littler girls - or read her Harry Potter book.
It was a lower key night than Friday (Mike and I called it a night much earlier) - but don't worry, there were still s'mores and cookies and popcorn and other such not-typically-mom-endorsed treats. It rained early Sunday morning - because it is just not Father's Day camping if we don't break camp with wet gear. But it cleared up by the time we actually started packing. Mike unintentionally hosted an 11 kid wiffle ball game (that he started to stop Dec's whining) and I joined in as both outfielder and occasional catcher. The rest of our group packed up while we entertained the kids - and then the rest of the dads took over so M and I could pack up our own gear.
The kids and I walked to the park to play while Mike went through the dump station (we are so grateful for him). We were home in time for a late lunch - where we celebrated Father's Day with homemade presents for Mike. The best one: the present Dec had made in school where he had to fill in Something My Dad Always Says ... Son of a Monkey's Uncle. We all laughed so hard!
We finished out the day with a lot of laundry, picking up groceries, and unpacking a few boxes!

No comments:
Post a Comment