Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Living that Summer Life

After Father's Day camping (which was proceeded by our first week of summer), we really hit our stride with this summer life. And by that, I mean, life was FULL THROTTLE

I think the actual "Holy Smokes" of it all is that we have completely transitioned into Life With Big Kids. It's a really good life where Mike and I can sit on the deck and have a conversation or where I can put "shower" on the chores list - and they just do it (let's not talk about how they do not hang up their towels ...). 

On the other hand, big kids don't go to bed at 7:45 and have activities that sometimes go until 9:00. I had gotten very used to my Life With Littles where from 8pm on, I can get all.the.things done. The unpacking and settling into the new house (and the blog - in case you haven't noticed) have suffered greatly from the distinct lack of time in the evenings.

I told Mike that this clear transition has reconciled the move in my head. Our old house, which we loved, was the house where we had little kids. Where we were all on top of each other all the time and it was easy to live with a herd mentality and people went to bed at normal hours. We raised some really awesome Littles there. This house, which we are growing to love, is where we will raise Bigs. Here, they have their own space and we all say "Where is so-and-so and why is this house so big?" There is [controlled] free range of the neighborhood (with a defined radius) and I don't always know exactly where they are. Sometimes we don't eat dinner until 7pm because we're busy or they are playing. And bedtime is somehow 9pm despite every attempt Mike and I make to move it earlier. It's a brave new world.

In addition to Mike and me going back to the office four days a week while Nanny J wrangles the troops (not the old Nanny J. A new one. We love her!) - and trying to unpack and settle in, the activities calendar blew up in June and July. There was baseball two nights a week, hockey for Q and D three nights a week, Mike was playing hockey a couple nights a week ... and I swear everything started at 5:30, which made dinner a magic trick. We are coming out on the other side and are down to just AAA hockey for Q restarting this weekend and gymnastics once a week. They loved their activities, but a few weeks of a less intense schedule will be a gift. Plus - that means we get to watch the Olympics!

Don't worry - in addition to all that, we've had a lot of fun together. Here are a few glimpses of how we've spent our summer enjoying the weather and the new house:


Nanny J fed into the Harry Potter obsession and they had a Harry Potter dress up day, complete with Breakfast at Hogwarts and a viewing of the second movie. We have some better costumes - but they are in a box in a place unknown. Thankfully, Mike has an abundance of black windbreakers that work as cloaks.


Gma and Gpa N asked what joint gift the kiddos would like for their birthdays. We didn't even ask them. With the awesome slopes in the back yard, slip and slide was the obvious answer. This one even has an area at the end where the water pools up. They love it and have so much fun!


Our old blow up pool (a $30 purchase that lasted seven years! WORTH IT!) did not survive the move. So Mike got a new one and it has been extremely popular. Is there anything more summer than a squirt gun fight in the back yard?


Okay - fine. Popsicles on the patio scream summer even more! I never thought I was a deck/patio person. But we have all been loving our big deck (the two-story house provides the best shade and it is so lovely out there in the evenings ... even when it is a hot day) and the patio under it. In the coming years, I see a lot of use for those spaces. [Please note Harry Potter scar tattoo on his forehead]


The kids are spending lots of time outside with friends. There are so many kids in the neighborhood and they are loving the social interactions. We love the constant stream of kids in the yard! While missing their old buddies (we've gone back to visit a couple times), the kids have totally transitioned to their new social environment. Mike and I are transitioning more slowly. We miss our old parent friends - but are getting to know our new social circle.


And sometimes, it is just downright crazy town around here. This is what Life With Big Kids looks like on the regular. And why I think ice cream cake at 7pm may still not be the best plan.

There you go. Now you know why the blog is a month behind. We are just very busy enjoying the summer and not going to bed around here. And maybe occasionally unpacking a box or two.

No comments: