Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Labor Class Discussions

Mike and I had our "Coping with Labor" class last night. Mike was a trooper ... I was not. Enjoy some snippets from our evening as you imagine how this three hour class went.

Teacher: Let's practice relaxation with this exercise.
Insert soothing music and lady with soothing voice telling us how to breathe.
M: Sar, the lady said to take a deep breath.
S: Her voice makes me want to cram my pillow down her throat. It's not very relaxing.
M: Pretend harder.
Three minutes and lots of "soothing" later, annoying voice says something like "feel yourself leave the world and just focus on your breathing."
S: accidental audible snort of disgust
M: much effort to not burst out laughing

Later in class, we talk about using music during labor to relax:
Teacher: Soothing music, like nature sounds or classical music, is best. Partners, talk to your moms about what kind of music they would like to hear.
M: Do you want nature sounds?
S: No, I want Bon Jovi. Or maybe the Twins game. (and show tunes, but I didn't feel like hurtling that impending torture at Mike - we'll let it be a surprise)

Our final exercise of the night - think of your happy place ...
Teacher: Imagine yourself somewhere happy and calming, like a beach in Mexico. Partners, think of a happy place where you can see Mom relaxing.
S: What place did you think of?
M: The final five (college hockey) tournament when the Gophers beat the Sioux in overtime to win the championship.
S: contented sigh ... That was a happy place.

We clearly need to work on our own style of relaxation because the class left me more stressed than before. At least we now know what does not work for us!

4 comments:

Emily said...

i actually printed this so i could re-read it all day long. that's how happy it made me :) i love you two and your snarkiness.

The Bartholomews said...

To be quite honest, when it came time to using breathing techniques and relaxation I could have cared less! Oh, I focused on breathing alright...in, out, in, out, in, out.must.not.stop.breathing. That was about it though ;)
I can only imagine Mike in a child birth class, but he will be rock solid for you during the real thing. Of that I am sure!

Rae said...

LOL!!!! Your posts are hilarious, Sara!!! Seriously, I'll probably read this again!!!!

Love,
Tawnda

Brenda said...

You are so funny Sar... keep up the postings, I look forward to them:) By the way, my Mike slept in the recliner in the birthing room during my labor with Liv. Maybe if I'd had a Twins game on I could have kept him awake!