We had appointments at Abbott and Children's today. Got to meet with the neonatologist, see the birth center, and see the NICU. We got some good information about what to expect once Baby V arrives.
We had been hearing scary things about "rushed to surgery" and "barely seeing Baby after birth" that don't seem to be quite as true. Assuming everything is good (other than the obvious spine issue), we should get to spend a couple minutes with Baby after birth before it and Mike are off to the NICU. From there, they will do the surgery on the spine within 1-2 days. We will have to do some specialized holding and cuddling to make sure we don't hurt Baby's back, but we will get to hold our sweet one - a very exciting thing!
Baby will be in the NICU between 1-2 weeks, depending on how surgery recovery goes. I know we will all be happy when we get to finally go home.
The one disappointment of the day was that we didn't get to meet with the pediatric neurosurgeon. He was pulled into emergency surgery, so we are rescheduled with him next week. We are anxious to hear what he has to say about all the surgeries that Baby will have to deal with post-birth. Although the thought of labor and/or a C-section is terrifying to me, I think about what our tiny one will be going through and figure that I better be a tough girl or Baby will show me up!
2 comments:
Awesome, Sara! After you told me that you wouldn't get to hold Baby for 7 days I was devastated for you. It definitely makes all my whining pathetic. I am delighted that you guys will get a chance to hold Baby!!! Such good news all around. Did you have another US? Praying blessings on you all!
Talked to the mom at my church who's child has SB and is now 11. The area sounded similar to Baby and she said they never had to cath but just watch in the beginning to see he was going enough. So it is a good possibility for Baby too.
I know no matter what that you guys have the strength and love to do anything and help Baby be anything. Also quite true about the surgery...I'll quite whining;o-) Thanks for the reminder that life not as difficult as we make it.
Love you!
Tawnda
Hi Sara- I discovered your blog :) And I'm glad to hear your update- I was thinking about you guys today knowing you were learning some important things about the baby today- I'm glad you'll get to hold him/her and have baby home as soon as possible!
Talk to you soon!
Beth
Post a Comment