| Croup? Bah! I'm fine, Mom ... until 3:00 am |
Mike's left foot is purple. Purplish, greenish, black, to be more specific. Last week, during his hockey tourney, he blocked a shot with his foot. When he asks for an ice pack the minute he walks in the door, I usually assume the worst. He spent Saturday trying to convince his sister and me that his foot was not broken. We remained skeptical when they had to run to the store to get a wrap for it ... so he could fit it in his skate. My cousin Parker summed it up by saying #minnesotalife. A week removed, it's still colorful ... but I'm finally convinced that it is maybe not broken.
Declan and Quinn have croup. We've never had croup here before. So when Dec woke up gasping for air (or what sounded like gasping to the untrained croup ear) in the wee hours of Thursday morning, we did what any untrained-in-croup parents would do. Headed to the ER with him. Thankfully he is the only small V who has ever responded to nebs, so that helped open up his airway. They also gave him a popsicle. For a guy who is the messiest eater we've had and constantly uses dinner as hair gel, boy can eat a popsicle with zero mess! I was straight up impressed ... once I finished being straight up worried about the fate of his pjs with a red popsicle. We hung out for a couple hours until they were sure he was in good shape and headed home to "start" our day. By the end of breakfast on Thursday, he was as happy as could be.
Quinn woke up in the wee hours this morning to go potty. I could tell from her breathing that she had the same thing as D. She has a larger airway and was faring better. It just seemed like a cold. But as always happens, poor Quinn has it worse than D. No matter what goes through the crew, Quinn inevitably has the worst of it. She did great today, but was completely worn out by bedtime. Hopefully she can get a good night sleep and we can use the weekend to get her on a good path.
| Her "I'm wearing underwear" smile |
I saved the best for last. Fiona is wearing underwear. Successfully! You guys, this is so huge!!! That means that the surgery she endured is already paying off in a big way! And she knows there is a direct correlation. We can tell that she feels like the long surgery week was worth it. We practiced with underwear last weekend and have been transitioning to wearing them at school this week. We are still figuring everything out, so there have been a few accidents. But, like every new wearer of underwear, this is very normal. We keep reminding her of that. And she is so SO proud of herself.
And thus our weekend to do list ... get better, buy underwear, and play outside in the beautiful spring weather. Without stepping on daddy's foot!
2 comments:
I knew the "I'm not going in until hockey is done so they can't tell me I can't play hockey" would turn into "well I played hockey on it, so it can't be broken".
WOOT!!!!! So happy for Fi!
Tawnda
Post a Comment