Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Bobbing for Apples

One of the unexpected fun moments at the apple orchard was the apple bobbing contest. I knew we were going to have the contest at my work picnic, but I figured that the Vs would not be interested in participating. I was wrong. There's nothing like a 90+ degree day in September to make sticking your head in a bucket full of hose water appealing.

Fiona was the first to dive in. She was pretty pumped to join the kids line and bravely put her whole face in the water. We learned rather quickly that it is very hard to get an apple when you are missing your two top front teeth. With a tiny assist from me in pinning the apple against the edge, she successfully got one. And was so proud. She got back in line two or three more times, but didn't get any more apples. She never got discouraged and worked very hard.

Mike was the adult Vanneste representative. I continued to maintain that if you wear make-up, you don't have to stick your head in a bucket of water. Apparently I didn't let him know how the contest worked (it was how many apples you could get in one minute), so he got his first one, leisurely set it on the table, and looked around. Our VP is now clear that I'm a bit competitive (he may have used the word "intense") and I "kindly" told Mike to stick his head back in that bucket to get more apples. Family pride was on the line. I think he ended up with around 17 - a respectable showing based on our rather slow start. 

I think the pictures of it are my favorite part!

2 comments:

Anna said...

I think we may need to add apple bobbing to our 4th of July games...

Emily said...

Yessssss!