Thursday, October 12, 2017

Company Picnic at the Apple Orchard

Three weeks ago, we went to the Emerson company picnic at a local apple orchard. I was on the planning committee, which meant the night before the picnic, Mike and I spent our kids-in-bed hangout time cutting tablecloths and burlap table runners for the party decorations. Quinn and I made a couple runs to JoAnn Fabric for red gingham ribbon and made some sweet mason jar vases. And we had 30 hydrangeas in our storage room for the weekend. All in all, it was a good thing he recently bought a larger vehicle!

The forecast leading up to the weekend was showing rain, so I spent a ridiculous amount of time worrying that the picnic would be rained out. Instead, it was a very sunny day. And 90-odd degrees. Or what feels like a million degrees to Minnesotans at the end of September!

There was seriously a clothing crisis that morning.  I don't know how to dress for a "mid-summer" visit to the orchard. It was questionable whether I had work-event-appropriate shorts or not. We were on the edge, but I went for it. I spent so much time worrying that rain would ruin the day that I never thought to worry about heat!

We were hot, sweaty Vs - and hot, sweaty Vs are not the most pleasant version of the V family. But we still had a fun time. We ran into our favorite Rahns in the hay bale barn and had a great time with them. Mike and Fiona took part in the apple bobbing contest (it was so hot that sticking your head in a bucket of hose water sounded amazing), and we picked four bags of apples out in the orchard.

It was fun to introduce my gang to several of my co-workers and to meet their families. I love family events for work. And thanks to one of my colleagues, we got some really awesome photos of the day.

**Dec did tell me that he was going to stick out his tongue**

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Um... what? You had a company picnic? Meaning the company I used to work at paid for things like picnics?!? I'm going to need more explanation on this!

j/k This looks and sounds awesome... and I'm glad y'all had fun!