Sunday, January 7, 2018

Chillin' Like a Villain

We got home from up north and sent Mike back to work while the kids and I continued our vacation-y ways. Somebody's got to earn a living around here! The rest of us lounged around in pjs for a good part of the morning and didn't do anything very quickly. It was delightful!

We did manage to get ourselves organized and motivated enough to get outside mid-afternoon (hello fresh air that didn't freeze us to death immediately!). Mike had asked us to shovel the driveway during the day as we had 2-3 inches of powder down - and were packing it more each time we drove over it. The kids happily grabbed shovels to help me out. Quinn especially loved cleaning up the lines of snow that would spill out of my shovel rows. They were all really helpful ... for a while. Then the allure of the fresh snow got the best of them and off they went to play. Thanks to some sunshine and (at times) four shovels, we finished the driveway before Mike got home.

The other major event of Friday is that I let them watch Descendants 2. It's a Disney Channel movie that we had recorded this summer (they have seen the first movie) - but I had told them I wanted to watch it before I let them see it. Fiona and Declan have pretty active imaginations and I get nervous showing them things sight unseen - for good reason. I still hadn't watched it, but I threw my faith to Disney and prayed we wouldn't have another Oliver & Company incident. 

Disney came through in a big way and no one was scared or in tears. I, however, was quickly reminded of the other reason that I don't watch a movie for the first time with these people. They ask four hundred million questions during it - so you can't actually know what is going on. To me, the dialogue of the movie was: Mom, why is Mal's hair like that? Mom, is Jay a good sword fighter? Mom, does Uma's name start with an O or a U? Mom, is Harry's hook his own or Captain Hook's? Mom, do you know this song? Mom ... Mom ... Mom ..."

To say they are obsessed is an understatement. They watched it again that weekend because "Daddy missed it the first time" [convenient]. This entire weekend, they have played Descendants. Fiona is usually Mal. Dec is rotates between Jay and Carlos - but usually Jay. He does a lot of Jay flips ... which are basically identical twins to Spiderman flips. But don't tell him that. They are totally unique and just like Jay in the movie. He also ran around the house yesterday, saying "Bibbity bobbity boom" for seven minutes straight. Clearly the three-year-old boy version of Fairy Godmother.

For a solid week, we have watched clips from the movie for our bedtime video. The favorite is the sword fight scene (and to answer an earlier question ... Yes, Jay is a good sword fighter), but another in hot rotation (and the impetus for the post title) is Chillin' Like a Villain. Feel free to watch it on YouTube. Or What's My Name?. Then you can join Mike and me in the seventh circle of having those songs constantly stuck in our heads!

No comments: