When I started taking a bunch of pictures this morning and announced that it was our annual "day in the life" blog post day, the news was met with varying levels of enthusiasm. I was primed and ready, Mike was annoyed, and the kids were along for the ride. Quinn was happy to pose, Bugs was happy to point out photo ops, and Dec was confused. If that's not representative of a day in the life, I don't know what is.
Last year's post is here and if you want to go waaaaaaaaaaay back to 2016, try this. Some things don't change year over year, despite our best efforts! Buckle up, it's a busy day.
6:04: Mike gets up and preps Fiona's flush. Then he wakes her, grabs her breakfast, and ensures she's all set.
6:12: I get up to shower as he goes back to bed.
6:41: I'm out of the bathroom and getting dressed. Mike's hiding under the covers and pretending he doesn't have to get up. Eventually I turn on enough lights and he heads for the shower. I make the newly-vacated bed and head out to the kitchen.
6:50: Checking the weekly calendar shows that it is both school conferences for the girls and floor hockey day.
6:54: I hear a dresser drawer open in the kids' room. Quinn is awake and trying to sneakily get ready to surprise me.
6:56: I surprise her and wake Declan up as well. He's not a fan, but the promise of breakfast convinces him to get dressed. He'll eat breakfast again at preschool. Next year, when he doesn't get a second breakfast at Kindergarten, it's not going to go well.
7:01: I let Yogs outside while Q and D get their yogurt and pick out cereal.
7:03: Pour a couple bowls of cereal, open yogurts, and start my coffee.
7:05: Make the kids' beds and straighten up their room.
7:08: Mike's ready and getting his morning coffee (he didn't wash his cup last night, so had to wash it this morning). I'm throwing dinner together in the crockpot because it's 7am and I already know I don't want to cook dinner tonight.
7:12: Bugs is done and Mike helps get her set for the day.
7:16: I clean up breakfast, load the dishwasher, and wipe down the bathroom.
7:20: Help the girls with the hair, hug everyone, and head out the door. Mike is currently in charge of short people drop off (usually) and I do the pick up (usually). Make a quick pause as I pull out into the road to roll down my window and wave to faces pressed against the front door.
7:24: On the road to work. With a detour. Because, yet again, my normal road is closed (for a YEAR). It's going to be a long winter.
7:47: Arrive at work and get started with my day. Not too many meetings, but a couple big projects that I'm hoping to move forward.
11:28: Take a quick break from my video script to complete open enrollment for next year's benefits. Things high on our list of needs ... medical insurance.
3:15: Start packing up to head south for school conferences. Get caught on way out to answer a "quick question."
3:23: Actually leave for conferences. And cutting it very close for timing. Call my mom on the way. Also grab a quick call from Mike, who didn't read his meeting request or realize that I accounted for drive time. He's definitely on time and does a bit of work from his car.
3:49: Arrive at the school for a 3:50 conference. Wave to Bugs on my way through the cafeteria and verify that Q is already with Mike (we had agreed to let the girls join us at their conferences).
3:53: The conference before Q's runs late so I'm totally on time. Her conference goes well. Swap one blonde for another in the cafeteria and head to Bugs' conference. This one also goes well.
4:35: Done with conferences and attempting to get everyone organized enough to leave. Quinn and I head home to peel potatoes for dinner and Bugs and Mike pick Dec up.
4:43: Quinn and I get home, get the mail, let Yogs out, and start prepping her backpack for tomorrow. At this point, I say "oh crap" and realize that I forgot about the day in the life project and took no pictures during conferences. Vow to get back on my game.
4:56: The rest of the gang is home and the mashed potatoes are cooking in the Instant Pot.
5:00: Quinn decides to do an art project at the table.
5:04: Once their bags are prepped for tomorrow, Dec, Fiona, and I play a couple games from his literacy backpack from school.
5:23: While I go work on dinner, the kids play "What's Different?" As predicted, Dec pulls out his signature move.
5:40: Dinner is on the table.
5:45: My phone beeps and we suddenly remember that floor hockey is at 6:00 and NOT 6:30 like we thought. So Quinn and Dec now have five minutes to eat. This will go well ...
5:53: Quinn and Dec finish eating, wash up, and change into their hockey clothes.
5:58: Out the door they go while Bugs and I finish dinner.
6:10: Bugs practices her spelling words while I clean up dinner. I regret my choices as I have to wash both the stuff for the crockpot and the Instant Pot.
6:30: Put away the laundry I folded last night. There's always laundry.
6:40: Bugs and I head out the door to watch the tail end of hockey. Dec and Q had asked for spectators.
6:48: Bugs (and her book) join her dad (and his homework) in the lobby. I go watch the gang play.
7:00: Hockey is done and we visit with D's friend Ethan's family for a couple minutes (E went to the same preschool as Dec and started Kinder this year. His little brother still goes to school with D).
7:22: Home to address a minor hockey injury. Quinn and her hand decided to grab a puck at the same time Dec and his stick decided to hit it.
7:24: Grab a quick snack before pjs. Made possible by mom guilt around the shortened dinner.
7:30: The gang is moving on pjs, pottying, brushing teeth, taking meds, and all the ancillary bedtime activities. Mike and I work on emptying the garbages as it is garbage day tomorrow.
7:33: Quiz Quinn on her spelling words while waiting for her sibs to finish up.
7:37: Read our book. Talk about the funny scene in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation where the turkey goes pffffft. Then show them that clip on YouTube. Fiona dies laughing. Quinn picks the actual video for the evening, which is from Incredibles II (Jack Jack vs the racoon. It's the current favorite)
7:55: Tuck everyone into bed
8:00: Settle in for blogging, homework, and the Wild game. Also take a few minutes to discuss some Thanksgiving logistics. Mike mentions that he would appreciate a grocery list sooner rather than later. We are having a hard time believing it is a week away. The cook should probably start getting herself ready!
10:21: Time for bed so we can do it again tomorrow. We are all thankful it will be Friday!
No comments:
Post a Comment