Saturday, March 2, 2019

Snow Day Fun

February was the snowiest on record here. Ever. The Twin Cities area got 39" of snow in February ... and we got even more up north! My sister said that the snow was up to her chest when she got there yesterday.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the girls got a snow day out of the deal ... and everyone agrees that snow days are far superior to cold days when school is cancelled. I was locked up in a big multi-day staff meeting at work, so they got to hang with Daddy (and I got to leave the house shortly after 6:00am to try to make it to my 8:00 meeting on time ... hello 11 inches of snow in one day).

Mike worked from home and the girls got outside for a bit. But when Dec and I got home, everyone headed outside to play and continue working on the newly constructed snow forts and tunnels. The neighbor kids came over too and they all had so much fun. Everyone was very disappointed when I called them inside for dinner. So ... we shoved food into our mouths as fast as we could, texted the neighbors, and met back out for snow time after dark. Thanks to the help of Mr. Mike (neighbor), Mike got the snowmobiles off the trailer (there was toooo much snow for the snowmobiles) and took all the kids around the yard.

Then he and Mr. Mike decided to go on a little adventure of their own. It was Mr. Mike's first time ever on a snowmobile and he got his money's worth. It was as typical as a snowmobile adventure could be - with trouble starting one of the sleds, both sleds getting stuck in the deep powder, and having to do all the digging out. They came back as happy as two exhausted, snow-covered boys could be.

The kids also learned the importance of being careful with icicles. They were breaking them off the roof to eat them (sidenote: our house looks like it could eat us) and Jonah took one to head. He didn't even notice it, so when Fiona told him his face was bleeding, he didn't believe her. There was a lot of blood for a little tiny cut.

I pulled the plug on the fun close to 8:00, which you all know is very late for the gang. They were having such a good time that I had just let them keep going. Plus all that delightful fresh air was so good for all of us. But there was actually going to be school the next day ... so back inside we went. We paid for the late night for the next couple days, but it was worth it. One of my favorite things ever is playing outside in fresh snow - and I hope the kids will always remember (and love) that feeling of pure winter joy.

No comments: