Tuesday, March 12, 2019

When You Win at Parenting

Everyone has been a little gun-shy, since the infamous Oliver & Company incident, to expand our filmography horizons. Especially when it comes to movies that involve animals! However ... with a successful foray into the Christmas stocking movies (the original Parent Trap and the original Annie ... Santa went OG this year), I took a chance and suggested we try Homeward Bound. It was a favorite of Emmy and mine growing up and I thought the kids would love it.

While not the way I would typically want them to watch a movie, I recapped the entire thing ahead of time - complete with repeated reassurance that EVERYONE makes it home safely. [after Oliver & Company, I would most definitely not show Fiona a movie where the golden retriever dies!!] They seemed on board and excited so I popped it on our Netflix list and then watched for weeks while it continued to say "long wait." On a whim, I looked it up on Amazon. The DVD was available on Prime and only $4.50. One click later and it was on its way to us.

The movie arrived the same day that we decided not to head north, so perfect timing to add to our fun things list. We watched the beginning on Friday night and finished it up on Sunday night. They loved it. Like really really loved it. They laughed. They were so worried (at one point, all three bodies were mashed against mine ... I didn't know I had that much surface area). And they were overjoyed at the end. Fiona told me it was the best movie she's ever seen. Quinn cracked a smile and briefly showed concern. Dec had all the feels. They continue to quote it and giggle about the funny parts.

Before our movie night on Sunday, we spent the afternoon at the rink. Dec had hockey practice and we went straight from that to free skate (he just left all his gear on). The girls have been itching to get on the ice too. As we stepped on, we saw our neighbors and some of the big kids from Dec's school. The kids were all over the rink with their friends, having the best time. Dec was the most joyful I've ever seen him on skates - one of his coaches even stopped him to ask where that speed was during practice!  With three independent skaters, it was the most fun we've ever had at free skate. And by the end, Dec had skated for over 2.5 hours straight!

Sometimes you peg the perfect activities for the gang and the smiles in the photos and the memories are joyous and genuine. And sometimes spending $4.50 and trusting you know your kids really pays off.

No comments: