Friday, June 2, 2017

They've Got Personality

I was ambushed when I got home today by three people with brand new squirt guns (thank you, Mike ...). I realized, as I watched the girls play, that you can learn a lot about someone by their squirt gun fighting style. Fiona is all about laying down cover and hoping that it deters her sibs. Lots of defense, constant spray, and prayers that she doesn't run out of water. Quinn is strategic offense all the way. She'll take a direct hit to get into position for her shot. And then is quite accurate at hitting her target. In one shot, she can soak you.

I didn't get a chance to observe much about Declan's style. For the second night in a row, he went to bed before 7:00. He's under the misguided perception that he can out stubborn me (he can't) or that if out-suborning doesn't work, then yelling at me will (it really won't). Sweet boy oozes charm and personality, but he will also come with manners, so help us. Hopefully it's starting to sink in ... or the girls are going to get used to our full attention in the evenings!

It's so fun to watch their unique personalities develop and see how they fit with each other, our family, and their broader world. It's also the best fun to have new squirt guns on a 90 degree day!

No comments: