Tuesday, October 23, 2018

An Incredible Idea

A few weeks ago, we started discussing Halloween costumes. We've learned that you don't wait until the last minute on those things ... or you wind up with a Mickey Mouse costume that's several sizes too small because that's all that left and someone has to to be Mickey Mouse ... for random example. With our fall break camping trip, we definitely have to be on top of our game.

Quinn decided she wanted to be a mermaid and would wear Fiona's costume from last year. Dec decided he would be Dash from the Incredibles. Fiona wanted to be Violet from the Incredibles. Quinn quickly changed her mind and offered to be Baby Jack-Jack.

Then they all got big eyes and shrieked that Mike and I should also dress up. And with that, all my dreams of a family costume came true. Well, the start of the dream anyway. I'm pretty sure the only reason Mike agreed to it was that it was all the kids' idea. So it was game on to find five costumes to make this happen.

A quick Amazon search showed that the official costumes were really expensive - at least for something we would probably wear twice. So five pairs of red leggings (including Mike), five masks, some rainboots, and an Etsy shop that makes superhero shirts later, we were ready to go!

Our costumes debuted this weekend and I will tell you something about superhero costumes. They are not warm. And neither was the weather. However, we had so much fun and the kids were proud of our look ... at least what you could see of it under all the layers we needed. I also think Mike may be a fan of leggings. He wore them all night and found they are almost as useful as long underwear!

The costumes will come out again next week for Halloween proper - and I think Dec has a party at school too. Now Mike and I just need to convince our Polar Plunge team that cartoon heroes is a good theme ...

No comments: