Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Somehow Mike's "No Plan" Strategy Worked ...

and I honestly don't know how I feel about that. This last weekend was crazy busy and we had a crap ton of stuff that we needed to get done. It was a mixture of routine (laundry, groceries, Sunday School), tactical (store the camper, take down the trampoline, mulch the leaves), helpful (make a lasagna and a pie for Mike to take hunting), and fun (haunted house, pumpkin patch, carving pumpkins).

I cornered Mike at one point with a list of the major players to try to get an outline of a plan. His [almost] exact words to me: There's too much to do to plan it. If we make a plan, it won't get done. We'll just have to take it as it comes.

And I stood there blinking at him. Because I didn't understand. How on earth can you get a crap ton of stuff done with no plan!?!?! That just doesn't make sense.

And yet, somehow, it all got done. Plus we organized the garage shelves (the real need to fit three hockey bags is no joke). It feels like a dangerous precedent to set - allowing him to think that flying by the seat of our pants is an acceptable approach. I'm going to maintain that the very long and very detailed to-do list that I had both written down AND in my head - and recited often - kept us on track. But it may have also been cooperative weather, cooperative children, and a little bit of luck. Oh - and grocery delivery. Because it all would have fallen apart if we had to actually go TO the grocery store.

The only oversight ... we ran out of tequila on Sunday night.

How I feel about not having a plan!

2 comments:

Anna said...

Although I too feel quite strongly about "the plan," it sounds like you got an amazing amount of stuff done! Big oversight on the tequila though...hoofta.

Emily said...

I never have a plan...and sometimes I totally get the bare minimum done! I’m #teammike on this one ;)