Thursday, October 18, 2018

Thirteen Years

Mike and I celebrated thirteen years of marriage earlier this week. This quite auspicious occasion was marked in rather typical fashion. Mike took Fiona to drama class and sat in the school cafeteria doing homework until she was done. I cleaned up dinner and then played a fairly wild game of Hide and Seek with numbers 2 and 3. Which, quite honestly, was more of a “find each other and then wait for Mom to jump out and scare us” game. But I see how that title is a bit more cumbersome than Hide and Seek. Life continues on, the years click by, college algebra also finally starts to click, and we are daily astounded by this life we’ve built together.

Mike, however, did note that our “golden” anniversary is two years away and he suggests we celebrate by taking a trip. Dec asked where we were going. Mike answered “some place without kids.” And D couldn’t quite get his head around why we would want to do something so boring and quiet.

Boring and quiet. Not words you would use to describe our life. Even the “calm and soothing” (ha!) bedtime routine has ramped up as cooler weather has confined all the energy to inside our walls. A few nights ago, I recorded Quinn and Dec perform quite the “choreographed” number. And by choreographed, I mean “surprisingly in sync because every performance is unique.” Note Quinn’s use of cartwheels and Dec’s expressive singing.

From where we sit (which is usually on the couch, with a shared drink between us), the last thirteen years have been pretty great.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Happy anniversary to my favorites! Also, I’m going to go on strike. For what I’m not sure. But I’m FIRED UP thanks to Q and D ;)