Wednesday, July 19, 2017

News Brief

We interrupt the on-going recaps of the Fourth of July trip to GR to bring you breaking news on recent events in the House of V.

Fiona’s second top front tooth HAS FINALLY FALLEN OUT. It was seriously the most stubborn tooth. Ever. And she was the most stubborn child. Ever. Which has led to WEEKS of drama around that silly snaggle!! For the last week, Fiona has alternated between clamping her mouth shut to ensure no one could pull that tooth out. And crying because she was afraid it would never come out. The irony was not lost on her parents. By the end, she could twist the tooth in a full circle. AND IT STILL WOULDN’T FALL OUT!

So on Monday, when it fell out while she was eating corn (and was initially mistaken for a bad piece of corn), the whole family celebrated with popsicles! The tooth fairy was so happy to finally add our house to her nightly route!

Back in the spring, when the girls got haircuts, I had a big debate (with myself) about whether to cut bangs for Quinn. Ultimately, I let Quinn choose and she decided no bangs. Her head, so no bangs it was. Until apparently Quinn changed her mind, got her hands on a pair of scissors, and cut a chunk of her own hair off!

I didn’t put two and two together at first and thought I had maybe broken a bunch of hair with a ponytail or something. Girlfriend did not offer up an alternate explanation - until I finally guessed the reason. To minimize the damage, I chopped some quick bangs for her. I have to say that she does rock them! The best part was that three days after we cut the bangs, Fiona looked at Quinn and said in dismay, “Quinn! You look … different.” Way to notice things, Bugs!

Declan is what our pediatrician calls “potty training resistant.” Which is a nice way of saying “a stubborn little boy.” Last Thursday, when he asked me if he could sit on the potty and then wear underwear, I could not have agreed any faster. We’ve inched to the starting line in this marathon. So far our successes have been: not afraid to sit on the toilet anymore. Loves his Blaze and Paw Patrol underwear. The revelation that pee comes out of a hole in his boy part. Exercise for the carpet steamer.

Our less than successes have been: multiple puddles. Lack of any actual potty going in the toilet.

We’ll get there. He’s excited about his underwear and super excited about the Hot Wheels car carrier in Daddy’s closet that becomes his when the pee goes in the toilet and not on the carpet. It’s good to have goals!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Those kids, so darn cute! B