There was a bit of a blog hiatus here at the house of Vs. Not so much because I had nothing to say, but more because all.the.things happened in the last nine days. We had some injuries, a lot of company, a future kindergartner to round up, an Easter Egg hunt, the onset of allergy season, and a work trip for me to Florida (complete with sunburn. Hello, direct sunlight!). More to come on many of these, but I'll start with last Monday - when both Yogs and I got hurt.
I've been quietly working on my own secret resolution since January, when I finally started running again. I've been running 2-3 times a week and, while not fast or far yet, it's faster and farther than it was when I started. I annoyed my sciatic nerve (or something in that area ... I didn't actually go to a medical professional) a few weeks ago and my right leg has been struggling since. Some days it's fine and other days, it's really sore. Running had not been bugging it, which I was grateful for. Until last Monday. I got my first mile in and was feeling great. My stride felt smooth and I had a great split. Then about two minutes into my second mile, my calf went out. To the point that I knew I had to quit running instead of powering through. It was really really sore the rest of the day and I kept stretching it out to keep it from seizing up.
When I picked up Quinn, she asked if we could walk to the field that night to play. Walking sounded good to me as I was still annoyed that I hadn't gotten my miles in ... and I wanted to keep stretching out my leg. The girls rode their scooters and Dec biked - and F's friend Scott joined us too. Scott's mom had stopped by, so we were all standing there talking to her while Yogs ran around the field. We didn't see anything happen, but all of a sudden Mike noticed Yogi at his side, favoring his back left leg. He wouldn't put any weight on it and it was a long, slow, three-legged hop home for him.
We were really really worried that it was his hip, so when we got home, Mike did his best to assess. We [mostly] talked ourselves out of hip and figured it was maybe Achilles ($$$$) or ACL ($$$$). Neither was a particularly great option, so we hoped that maybe we'd wake up in the morning and he'd be fine. He was not.
Mike took him to the vet on Tuesday morning. The x-ray showed that it was his ACL, but that it wasn't ruptured as we feared. Very inflamed and possibly damaged. But not fully torn. It was about the best news we could hope for in this scenario. So he's on anti-inflammatory meds and pain meds for a couple weeks, plus limited activity, to get him healed up. Overall, he seems to be back to about 80% and is using his leg much better. As he improves, he wants to play so we are trying hard to keep him a bit settled to be sure he heals. (In other random news, his "good" leg shows that he probably did this same thing to that knee. Which is so surprising, given how graceful he is ...)
And my leg? Also much better. I've run three times since and it's doing okay. Just need to get that sciatic nerve back to normal.

No comments:
Post a Comment